Hanging baskets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon and thanks for allowing me to join, I'm looking at putting some pansies and viola in hanging baskets for the winter but the only wall i can put them on doesn't get much sunlight during the winter months, will they be ok?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

Both Pansies (Viola x wittrockiana) and Bedding Violas (Viola x williamsiana) can tolerate bright shade, but stems will elongate and flowering will be reduced.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Marck
I did think that, I've potted them up this afternoon and we have a small area that gets some winter sun but, with no where to hang them, I thought on a bright sunny day I could maybe put them on a chair for a few hours

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, try moving the baskets around and see where they do best. They usually look better with at least some direct sun. I suppose you could hang them on a chair, why not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My missus planted her hanging basket outside the front door with pansies for a bit of winter colour, only to discover they are the small one that only make it a couple of inches tall and barely show, make sure you have proper, big pansies.

Ask a Question