Had enough of a parrenial

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Anyone out there had enough of a parrenial that just doesnt grow well or produces horrible tasting fruit?

After 4 season I decided to pull the Jostaberry. The fruit was not worth the time to harvest. They ripen along with the gooseberries which taste so much better so it's gone in the spring.

Another one is Gurney's Juliet sour cherry. In the ground 4 seasons also. This cherry should be sold as a flowering cherry. Looks nice when it flowers. It suckers like crazy sort of like raspberries but the shoot is out far from the plant. It invaded my sour cherry patch not to mention the worst tasting sour cherry I ever grew. Per Gurney it is the sweetest of the bunch.

Cut down a 2 year old Emerald Beaut and a 4 year old 4-1 peach, nectarine and apricot combo. Those had a hard time with the bacterial spot. Not enough resistance and more maintenance than I want to deal with. Lost a 5 year old Belle of Georgia peach to tree borers. That one hurt it made great tasting peaches and had great resistance to bacterial spot.

Replacing the Jostaberry with a gooseberry. The Juliet sour cherry with a Nanking. The 3 fruit trees and am trying really hard not to replace them since I have plenty, I keep saying no but find myself browsing for replacements. 😁

MOD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I've ousted quite a few perennials down the years. There's no point in continuing to nurture a plant that isn't happy with its situation.

Ask a Question