Growing Strelitzia from seed

Reaction score
Strelitzia or Bird of Paradise is a plant that I have always wanted to grow from seed, normally I don't have much of a problem raising plants from seed, but this particular plant evades me and now after many years of trying every possible method, with numerous packets of seed ( in fact that many, that if they had all worked, I would now have a magnificent meadow, full of every variety of Strelitizia ) from various suppliers, but still don't yet own one, although I nearly did a couple of years ago, and was really excited, when one of the seeds did actually come up, but my excitement was short lived, as within twenty four hours, one of the cats sneaked in and ate it, unfortunately.
Has anyone managed to successfully grow these beautiful plants from seed, if so hints and tips please.

Reaction score
Strelitzia Mandela's Gold and Reginae

StrelitziaR2011.jpg

67b5.png

Picture004_zps9858eb88.jpg

Thought you might like to see some pictures of Strelitzia or The Bird of Paradise Flower, now that I know how to upload images.:D

Magnificent don't you think? On seeing these pictures, I think you can understand, why I keep trying to grow them from seed, am determined that one day, I shall own at least one of these beauties.

So once again, hints and tips from anyone who has successfully grown one these beautiful plants from seed, would be very much appreciated.

Ask a Question