Growing new food from old scraps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh, and @Tommyotommy, I had cilantro on the windowsill indoors last year in a 4 inch starter pot. I sat the pot in a plastic food storage container and I used to overwater the cilantro because it was so thirsty and would wilt at the drop of a hat. I left it sitting in water thinking I would pour it off later. After an hour the cilantro had soaked up the water (maybe a quarter inch?) in the container.

How you water will depend on the time of year and what kind of container you are growing it in. Outdoors this last time it got so tall I had to put a tomato cage around it.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's when you're planting out seedings, you make a hole with a dibber, put the seedling in it and then puddle it in with some water, so the soil goes round the roots :)

The hole helps to blanch the stem too.

Reaction score
In another thread I mentioned recently that I'd just come across some information on recycling food scraps into new plants. I happened to salvage the bottoms of a couple scallions and a celery this past Sunday and already the scallion is shooting up new chives. In just four days they've grown two inches.

I now have some rosemary and sage cuttings sitting in water as well hoping they'll root. I already have a good sized shoot from a piece of ginger and now there's another tiny bit of green poking up from the soil. I've had my garlic in the refrigerator for a few weeks and now it's time to take it out and start planting. I want to go out and get a pineapple now just so I can start a new plant!

images
howtoregrowceleryfrombaseroots.jpg

15 foods you can grow from scraps
This is really nice. I love the pics too. What inspired you to do this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is really nice. I love the pics too. What inspired you to do this?

I'm not sure. It's been quite a few months, but it must have been something I saw on PInterest. There are a number of articles online about growing new food or plants from scraps. You can grow a plant from a carrot top, but not a new carrot. A lot of people like to grow potato vines, etc.

Ask a Question