Growing new food from old scraps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm not sure about the pineapple...I was talking about my bromilliad, which is in the same family as pineapple I think. The little pups come up at the base of the "mother" plant, all around. When they get to be a decent size, you have to cut them away from the mother plant...they normally come off with a little root of their own. I think strawberry plants make little offshoots, huh, like a spider plant? That's different than how the pups grow on a bromilliad.

The strawberry pups are sort of like the spider in that they will form roots, but they don't grow in clusters on a stem like a plant. It's sort of like a vine that grows out and starts a "pup" then it may shoot out further and make another. I put the pups in soil right away and as soon as they are well rooted I cut them away from the mother.

Was at my mom's today and forgot to ask about the pineapple!

Reaction score
The strawberry pups are sort of like the spider in that they will form roots, but they don't grow in clusters on a stem like a plant. It's sort of like a vine that grows out and starts a "pup" then it may shoot out further and make another. I put the pups in soil right away and as soon as they are well rooted I cut them away from the mother.

Was at my mom's today and forgot to ask about the pineapple!

I have one of Dan gills books from the library and he doesn't mention strawberries at all...which I found strange. I'll check some of his other books when I go back. I'd like to plant them sometimes. I have two small blackberry bushes that I got last fall and I've picked one delicious berry so far haha. Next spring I bet I get a better harvest. I want blackberry dumplings!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...I have two small blackberry bushes that I got last fall and I've picked one delicious berry so far haha. Next spring I bet I get a better harvest. I want blackberry dumplings!!

Are you feeding them? When I first got my blueberry bush it came with something like 5 berries. The second year it produced something like 5 berries. I started giving it coffee grinds and I mulched it with pine needles that second fall. Last year it had a decent amount of flowers and started producing berries and then a rain storm beat the crap out of it. Bye bye flowers.

For the past year I have been spraying everything that fruits or flowers with a homemade spray made from banana peel. This year I have a few dozen berries and I've coaxed flowers from plants that hadn't been producing.

Reaction score
Are you feeding them? When I first got my blueberry bush it came with something like 5 berries. The second year it produced something like 5 berries. I started giving it coffee grinds and I mulched it with pine needles that second fall. Last year it had a decent amount of flowers and started producing berries and then a rain storm beat the crap out of it. Bye bye flowers.

For the past year I have been spraying everything that fruits or flowers with a homemade spray made from banana peel. This year I have a few dozen berries and I've coaxed flowers from plants that hadn't been producing.

I fertilize most everything with miracle gro, but I'll try using coffee grounds on the blackberries. And you use a spray made with banana peels? Maybe we really shouldn't eat them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I fertilize most everything with miracle gro, but I'll try using coffee grounds on the blackberries. And you use a spray made with banana peels? Maybe we really shouldn't eat them.

You put banana peels in water in an empty jar or jug for a wee or two and it makes a potassium water that you can use to "fertilize" your plants. I strain off some liquid and put it in a spray bottle with a little more water and use it as a foliar plant food. It's also supposed to provide protection from certain pests.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is a great idea! I am going to take my celery bottom and try this since I end up throwing it away anyhow. Celery is cheap, but I want to try it just to say that I did. Thank you for the idea!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is a great idea! I am going to take my celery bottom and try this since I end up throwing it away anyhow. Celery is cheap, but I want to try it just to say that I did. Thank you for the idea!

You're welcome! Good luck with it too! I've not had any success regrowing celery. I have some carrot tops in water right now and I've had some sprouted onion growing for a bit, but the onions keep drooping and giving up. I think they are suffering from the occasional heavy rains.

Reaction score
I have done green onions with success, but everything I try to do Celery it really gets no where. I cut the end off like I see most people doing and then set it into a jar or bowl of water. I have had it grow, but after a certain point are you not supposed to try to transfer it into soil? I am not sure, because I did try that and I am thinking the plant went into Water - Soil shock as you are not supposed to transaction them in too fast.

Reaction score
I have done green onions with success, but everything I try to do Celery it really gets no where. I cut the end off like I see most people doing and then set it into a jar or bowl of water. I have had it grow, but after a certain point are you not supposed to try to transfer it into soil? I am not sure, because I did try that and I am thinking the plant went into Water - Soil shock as you are not supposed to transaction them in too fast.

Would be nice if what grew out would be the tender celery heart, huh. I might try this just to find out. Good luck with yours. Try changing the water every day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

You are supposed to transfer it to soil, but if you give it too much water it will wither away (that's what happened with mine). I have had other plants growing from scraps to perish because I waited too long to transplant them. It's just a thing of knowing what time of year those plants grow best and experimenting with them in your climate.

Reaction score
I'm so excited, I have two leeks re-growing roots like they were so happy! They are really long, and one of them has a shoot coming out of the top now. When do I put them in dirt?

Reaction score
Ya know, I'm not a celery fan, but I LOVE that thing that looks similar to parsley and tastes like a very light celery so delicious. I imagine that the leaves that celery puts out when it re-grows resembles this taste, so I just may try celery. I wish I could remember the name of that plant. I'll have to call the nursery for it, they have it every year. Here is a picture of it.
140620_0003.jpg

Reaction score
Ya know, I'm not a celery fan, but I LOVE that thing that looks similar to parsley and tastes like a very light celery so delicious. I imagine that the leaves that celery puts out when it re-grows resembles this taste, so I just may try celery. I wish I could remember the name of that plant. I'll have to call the nursery for it, they have it every year. Here is a picture of it.
View attachment 3044

Wild guess.... cilantro?

Reaction score
No, it's not cilantro. I said it tasted like celery. It's really delicious, especially with other herbs. I'm really glad I got it, I get it each year. But I can't think of the name of it.

Reaction score
No, it's not cilantro. I said it tasted like celery. It's really delicious, especially with other herbs. I'm really glad I got it, I get it each year. But I can't think of the name of it.

Wonder what it could be. I'm not a big fan of celery either.... though I do like celery heart. And I use a few celery tops in split pea soup I make in the winter. If you leave that out in your recipe it's amazing the difference it makes.Too hot to think about soup now haha.

Ask a Question