Growing avocado's

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Belgium
I am thinking about planting an avocado tree, I know there are people in the area having full-grown, fruiting avocado trees and I really want to try. We have hot, dry summers and usually mild winters. Would really love to harvest our own avocados! I could use some tips for planting and caring for avocado trees. I read somewhere you need two of them for pollination?
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
It depends of what avocado variety you want to grow. Some varieties need you to have two trees reasonably close to each other, in order to cross-polinize and be able to produce fruit. You may want to research about varieties that produce fruit without the need of more trees nearby.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Avocados are something I can only dream of successfully growing, I don't think they would survive the climate here in Japan. I always saw them as being a warm weather thing, but I'm curious if someone knows the exact kind of conditions that they're suited to (I'm only a relative newbie to all of this!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
I'm curious if someone knows the exact kind of conditions that they're suited to
As I have read, the most cold tolerant variety can survive cold of up to -6°C. It is native to Mexico and Central America.

Not sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
As I have read, the most cold tolerant variety can survive cold of up to -6°C. It is native to Mexico and Central America.

Not sure.

Huh. I never knew that, I'd always assumed they needed far warmer conditions. I think if I wanted to grow one here in the UK I'd need to put it in a greenhouse though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Belgium
It's interesting that there are varieties that can survive frost! When I was in New Zealand, there were people growing tons of avocado's in a cold climate. I suppose the ones sold on the local market are suitable for our climate, but the guy did say it needs to be in a greenhouse.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It would be nice if more avocados were grown here in the UK, as it would bring the price down! They're really expensive in the supermarket, but I love them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am also one of those that live in a climate who can't grow avocado. We have to buy them here if we can find a decent price for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan

Not sure.

Mind blown! I never would have imagined they would survive in that kind of temperature. Even overnight in winter here it rarely gets to -6c where I live (maybe once or twice in winter it would get that cold) so perhaps I need to research the more cold tolerant varieties!

Reaction score
One of our neighbors had a couple avocado trees, the trees did so well for years and required so little care. I know because I knew the lady, she was a really old lady who couldn't be bothered with anything that wasn't related to her cats :p

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know about the cross pollination bit when it comes to plants as big avocado. You do however have the right weather conditions though @valedevento. Avocados, to my knowledge thrive seasonally in warm dry conditions whats there roots get set. They do like the occasional rainfall or watering. Just be careful with the variety though as I find some to taste much better than others. Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

Not sure.
Well, I never knew that! I grew an avocado plant one time just to see if I could grow it from the pit. It was a nice looking plant and I was very proud of what I accomplished. I had the plant for awhile and kept it indoors, but it finally got to big for the container/pot I had it in and died. Well, anyways, if I knew this kind of information maybe I would've tried to grow a few more and put them outside. I always thought they would die and couldn't survive the mild winters here in the Atlanta area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
I also didn't know there was a cold tolerant variety :). You surely learn something new!

Ask a Question