Greenhouses?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The bottles are a novel idea, very unique, although it might look a little on the tacky side and not make your back yard, or side of the house look too good, but I suppose it would depend on how creative you are. The bottom picture of the $50 greenhouse looks OK.

I have greenhouse fever now and can't wait until mine arrives in the mail ... Amazon ..

I actually like the way the bottle house looks. The ones with different colored bottles and the ones that are completely made of bottles without a wooden frame don't look as nice as the ones with a frame. I live in a pretty eclectic place so I don't have to worry about how a bottle house would look to anyone else.

I am still exploring my options though; I need to find something that is economical that I can actually do myself and won't require a lot of tools.

Jed

Reaction score
The easiest way to build a tunnel without tools is to use Rio-weld mesh and cover with plastic. Weld-mesh is used for things such as concrete slabs. You can buy it in different hole patterns from hardware stores in 20 foot lengths by 8 feet wide. The holes are about 5" square. You bend it in a horseshoe shape very easily and just throw the plastic over it. The mesh cost about $70 a sheet and two joined together can give you a fair size hothouse without using too many tools. You would need to work out how to cover the ends allowing for an entrance and ventilation.

images

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Jed, that's a really interesting idea. I think I could sort out how to close up the ends, but I would be worried about it blowing over in a high wind. Any good ideas for keeping it upright?

Jed

Reaction score
There would be two issues one is snow and the other is wind.
Snow can be a problem with any poly tunnel. I have to use internal poles spaced at about 12 feet to take the weight of 4 inches or more of snow.I erect these inside in the snow season.
If you need to fix it to the ground I would use star pickets, the short ones of 18" in length and wire the mesh to them. They have hole along their length. They are primarily used as fence posts.They can be knocked into the ground easily with a large hammer or the back of an axe ,if you don't mind doing such a thing to an axe.
Only you would know how windy it gets at your home to make a decision on how many and how deep.

To make a hot house like this, only needs basic skills. You would have to decide on how to do things as you make it. For instance will you bury the plastic on the sides in a small trench or just use some pieces of timber to hold it down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hmmm, I am liking this idea more and more for its flexibility. Snow is not an issue for me; in the rare times that it snows it is never more than a few inches and it doesn't stick around for very long.

I like the idea of taking a sheet of mesh and making an arch that I could potentially use year round. I have been looking for a way to erect something like a pergola or other structure to hang plants from to expand growing space.

Maybe I could attach wood beams to either side of the base of the arch? I can easily come up with some temporary solutions for covering it -- I actually have some fabric that might work.

Time for a trip to Home Depot!

Jed

Reaction score
The wood beams sound like a good idea.It would make it easier to move around with two people in segments of 1, 2 or more. I take it you mean across the bottom of the horseshoe shape?
In down time with a hothouse, the plastic maybe removed so the wind wont be a problem.
Sounds like you are a problem solver and regardless of any building skills can still achieve what you plan.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks! And yes, I would put the wood beams at the bottom of the horseshoe; I'm just not sure if it would be better to put them parallel to the mesh or use them across the bottom to connect the sides. I guess I'll just have to try and figure that out once I find the mesh.

Reaction score
This system works great if you are not subject to high winds. I made one and was almost ready to start putting my plants in it when a big whirlwind went through my yard and set my new greenhouse in a stand of trees. I was devastated! Any additional attempts at a greenhouse were also destroyed by the winds.

I miss having a greenhouse, and wish I could afford a big one. I do have one suggestion: go bigger than the size you think you'll need. My ex built me an 8X10 and it wasn't big enough. Sadly that greenhouse is still in his yard and filled with junk. :(

The easiest way to build a tunnel without tools is to use Rio-weld mesh and cover with plastic. Weld-mesh is used for things such as concrete slabs. You can buy it in different hole patterns from hardware stores in 20 foot lengths by 8 feet wide. The holes are about 5" square. You bend it in a horseshoe shape very easily and just throw the plastic over it. The mesh cost about $70 a sheet and two joined together can give you a fair size hothouse without using too many tools. You would need to work out how to cover the ends allowing for an entrance and ventilation.

images
[/quote

Jed

Reaction score
This system works great if you are not subject to high winds. I made one and was almost ready to start putting my plants in it when a big whirlwind went through my yard and set my new greenhouse in a stand of trees. I was devastated! Any additional attempts at a greenhouse were also destroyed by the winds.

I miss having a greenhouse, and wish I could afford a big one. I do have one suggestion: go bigger than the size you think you'll need. My ex built me an 8X10 and it wasn't big enough. Sadly that greenhouse is still in his yard and filled with junk. :(

Wind is certainly a plastic hot houses enemy. It really depends on your location what to build. You can use lightweight building materials but you would need to reinforce the structure. I ended up using a pale coloured shade cloth as protection and it still works well as a hot house.
So true about size. Go as big as you can and you will have no regrets.
Shame you can't get one up and running.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Anything you build will need to be weighted or fixed to the ground in some way to keep the wind from blowing it over, just like your house. I think the best thing to do in the short term is probably to build cold frame boxes and work your way up to a greenhouse.

Just a note, my aunt has a metal shed about the size of a small room in the back yard. It sits off the ground on a cement foundation and a small tornado came through the neighborhood and shifted it off it's foundation.

Whatever you end up doing, make sure it's secured and weighted to the ground.

Reaction score
The one I had to give up when I got divorced was made with aluminum tubing and covered with corrugated plastic. It was anchored into the ground with three foot wooden stakes. It was nice because it was about 7' high in the center. I will be patient and build one to my specs as soon as I can. :D

Reaction score
I would really love to get a greenhouse. I worry that my cats might get trapped inside though. A friend of mine has a cat flap fitted on the door of her greenhouse, so I think I would do the same. Her cats don't touch the plants or sit on them. I think this is because she made a blanket bed for them in the corner! They love to sunbathe in there!

Ask a Question