Greenhouse structure

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a project I want to undertake but I cannot seem to find what I need to make it happen.
I am re-building my deck on my house to a larger 10' X 20' deck
I want to put a greenhouse on the deck but I would prefer to install a lean to type to utilize the existing patio door.
I have found a few that I would like, but the height between the deck and existing soffit is lower than any lean to greenhouses I have seen.
Is anyone aware of a place I can purchase the framing to custom build my greenhouse?
I am interested in aluminum framing that could accept twin wall or glass glazing.
I have found items of this type for screening in a porch, but nothing for glazing.
Has anyone run across these materials?
I would prefer not to use a wooden frame to keep weight down as much as possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
IMHO, your concern about weight is valid but I think you're looking at the wrong components.

Dirt is heavy, wet dirt is even heavier. You're going to have to reinforce the support for the deck.

Speaking of wet, I'm not sure I'd attach to the house either. Greenhouse by nature tends to be hot and humid. Do you want that leaking into your home all summer?

To your question about a kit, no you won't find one. Every house and buildsite is different.

For a low budget idea, look at gazebo kits and plan on substituting plastic sheeting for the fabrics that come with it. This time of year you might even find a discarded frame on the curb with torn fabric.

Ask a Question