Heated planter/greenhouse idea.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would like to get some opinions on an idea I have.
I want to convert one of my planters I built into a small greenhouse that I can have my seedlings in while growing.
I have a heated cord used for keeping ice build up off the roof edge of the house. It is low wattage, so shouldn't use much power.
thumbnail (5).jpg

I would bury that cord in the dirt in the planter and then have this lid on it. It should gradually heat up the soil and the whole planter. I may even be able to start some plants early in that soil.
thumbnail (1).jpg

I could make the lid sloped for water run off. What do you all think of this idea?
thumbnail100.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Overall it should work something like a hot-bed (heated cold-frame), but you may want to start seedlings in trays or pots for easier transplanting. If you wanted to half-bury pots for greater warming or insulation, maybe switch the potting soil out for pure sand.

Of course there will be times when you will want to prop up the lid for ventilation, as with any hot-bed or cold-frame.

Also, propping a hot-bed up on legs, so cold air can get under it will be much less efficient for heating.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes. I would just put a tray of seedlings in there until ready for planting elsewhere.....If this works, I may try growing something in the soil later into the fall.

Ask a Question