Reactivating greenhouse etc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,, Retired, I shall be reactivating the greenhouse and raised beds on my property. I also have treees which are planted and have survived, byt have grown very slowly. I now have 12,000 gallons of water for distribution, which isa rain catchment system and look forward to using this renewable water system throughout the growing season.
So, what do you recommend for raised beds which have been dormant as to moisture and fertilization here on the high desert at 6,500 feet? WE also have trees on the property that are surviving, but towing very slowly.

Thank you, in advance,

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings welcome to the Forums.

Do you know your USDA climate zone? High desert might suggest a cold winter, but how cold is cold?
In any case, it is likely too late to start any winter crops this Winter. You could try a cold-hardy cover crop, with rye grass being the most cold-hardy, but again it is late to start that now. Perhaps the best thing now is to purchase some compost (and begin making your own) to enrich your beds for Spring planting. Consider planting warm-season crops from seed four to six weeks before your last frost date, which ever ones you want to harvest.
That is good that you collect rain water, I do the same from off my roof.
As for your (fruit?) trees, also mulch these with compost to begin enriching the soil. You will likely need to irrigate more in the warm season to encourage growth and a good crop, but increase any water amounts gradually and observe soil moisture levels to make sure that it is appropriately moist but well-drained.

Note: This is one of two duplicate posts.

Last edited:

Ask a Question