Gravity fed water delivery system

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I hope you can see the photos and that they help you.
Any questions?

Great photos and great explanation! Thanks so much for sharing! I love that the timer is battery operated! What size does it take?

That last photo of the strawberry tower.
If you forego the bottom two rows of strawbs, and make it into a reservoir, and twist "A-tork" paper roll into paper ropes and lead them up the inside length of the corners, it may be possible to water at the bottom and the capillary action of the paper water the height of the tower.
Not certain it would work, I've only just thought of it, but I think it would.
Strawbs don't need too much water anyway, so even if it wasn't the most efficient, it may still be adequate

Hmmm... so it would act like a wick system? I suppose I could try it with some kind of natural fiber rope. During the summer here my strawberries seem to need a lot of water, but the towers in garden #3 won't contain strawberries, they will contain herbs.

I like the idea of the reservoir, but I am concerned about a few things. When it rains here it can really pour, which is why I no longer use pots that have those drip pans at the bottom that hold water self-watering style. Stuff just stays too soggy. With the tower I would be worried about the moisture not making it up to the top - the way folk have trouble at the end of a gravity fed line in a bed.

I'm going to have to do some experimenting!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Great photos and great explanation! Thanks so much for sharing! I love that the timer is battery operated! What size does it take?

Hmmm... so it would act like a wick system? I suppose I could try it with some kind of natural fiber rope. During the summer here my strawberries seem to need a lot of water, but the towers in garden #3 won't contain strawberries, they will contain herbs.

I like the idea of the reservoir, but I am concerned about a few things. When it rains here it can really pour, which is why I no longer use pots that have those drip pans at the bottom that hold water self-watering style. Stuff just stays too soggy. With the tower I would be worried about the moisture not making it up to the top - the way folk have trouble at the end of a gravity fed line in a bed.
That's because they don't build a ring system.

You can buy timers which take AA, others take AAA, some take 9v rectangular batteries.
One set of good alkaline batteries will last a summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I found a source for dc timers

greenlivingforu

ordered a couple and will be flipping over the border this week to pick them up

Ask a Question