Why Isn't my Confederate Growing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sorry, I just really get bummed out when I realize my plants aren't growing so well and I'd really like to get them growing better.

1) Why isn't my Confederate Jasmine growing?
I have a Confederate Jasmine that I got about a year ago. I placed it in the front of my house and It still wasn't growing that much. I took it and put it in my backyard. It was growing pretty well, I actually saw some new leaves grow and it bloomed. I decided to make a little area for it to grow into a bush, I picked out the weeds and I planted it. It did not grow at all and it was covered in weeds. I took it out and planted it in a container, I got my hose and tried to untangle all of the roots and get all the nasty dirt out of them, it's in my room right next to my aloe vera. Its been a week and I still haven't seen any growth from it. It has perfect drainage. I don't see any damage to it at all but it still grown a new leaf in a long time. Any advice on how to boost its growth?, I think it might be root rot but I haven't watered it in awhile. I am thinking about trimming the roots because it's root system looks like a giant messy ball.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here is an old time saying. The first year it sleeps, the second year it creeps and the third year it leaps. Give it time and don't water often. By digging it up and replanting you have slowed it down even more. No plant does anything in a week. Roots are what makes a plant grow. By cutting them you are defeating the whole purpose. And the dirt wasn't nasty.............it's dirt...........what plants grow in

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yah I agree...you kept interrupting it when it was doing its best to grow for you. Leave the poor thing alone for a bit.

And dirt isn't "nasty" for heaven's sake. Good dirt is chock full of beneficial bacteria, bugs, worms, and, well, dirt. :).Nothing will grow in a sterile environment. Give that poor thing some dirty dirt to grow in. ;)

I'd just leave it be for a while. Add some organic compost at the start of your next growing season. You don't say where you live but probably that would be spring 2017.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Here is an old time saying. The first year it sleeps, the second year it creeps and the third year it leaps. Give it time and don't water often. By digging it up and replanting you have slowed it down even more. No plant does anything in a week. Roots are what makes a plant grow. By cutting them you are defeating the whole purpose. And the dirt wasn't nasty.............it's dirt...........what plants grow in
I agree with this response. Plants like to be allowed the chance to just (pardon the expression) vegetate. They don't enjoy being dug up and transferred to different spots at all... and will often go into a sort of temporary hibernation state where the plant does nothing for a while. I call this the "pouting" stage. When that's over the plant should recover and begin to grow again. Damage inevitably happens to the roots, or stems or leaves during transfers, and that only delays new growth some more. Put your plant somewhere nice and just leave it alone, except to water it or fertilize it, and you will likely be quite happily surprised by its growth. :)

Ask a Question