Raised bed on tiled, roofed veranda... Possible?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
We live in an apartment with a huge veranda. I'd like to build a simple raised bed out there to grow some herbs and a few veggies (tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers).

I read that if I put in a layer of gravel at the bottom, drainage will not be an issue? But should I build some sort of a drainage chute to take the water to the gutter? I don't really want it seeping all over the veranda where we eat dinner, the kids play, etc.

I'll also have to water the bed myself since the veranda is covered by a roof (high enough that the veranda gets plenty of early morning and late afternoon sun). Will there be any problems or a benefits to that?

The veranda is approx. 50m2 (which I believe is around 500ft2) and the floor is concrete with porcelain tiles on top. I was thinking of building just a small bed, around 1x3 metres or something like that. I'm flexible. Depending on the positioning, it can either get direct sunlight from around 8am-11am, or from around 3pm to 6pm. Both times the sun is low (rising or setting).

I'm in the southern hemisphere, "Yearly temperatures average between 9 and 35 °C (48 and 95 °F). The Köppen climate classification of the region is tropical savanna climate (Aw) and it borders on a humid subtropical climate (Cwa)".

Reaction score
Well you could ,but as an alternative, why not grow the veg you want in containers? far easier to manage and you can move them around.

If you go for a raised bed,the practicalities are getting the growing medium to the area,the materials to construct it as well,and if it doesn't work and you give up on it,quite a mess to clear up.

Ask a Question