Getting orchids to bloom

Reaction score
I have five variety of orchids. These have bloomed continuously for years now. However there is one particular plant that will neither grow leaves nor have buds. I don't know what is wrong with it. It has been latent for almost a year now. Do you have any tips for me?

purple-orchids-150x150.jpg

Reaction score
I love orchids. What is fantastic about this magnificent species is that it's not as difficult to care for as one would think.

The lady in this video talks briefly about how to get orchids to re-bloom and she says to move it to a cool place, around 55 degrees at night. I read where, when the blooms of a spike fall off, to cut the spike near the top, at an angle, and that will prompt a new spike and eventually you will get new shoots from the original spike. That's exactly what happened with one of my phalaenopsis orchids. I have a new stalk, about 14 inches long and the buds are about to sprout.

Here's my orchid that has grown a new stalk ..

My-Moth-Orchid.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. My phalaenopsis orchids have three or four shoots sometimes. I am really lucky with orchids, but this one variety ( I don't even know what it is) has only those cane like stems and no leaves for a year now. However, I will trying keeping this plant in a cooler place as this lady in video mentions to see if I can get it to have new leaves and blooms again. I appreciate the help.

Reaction score
I have an orchid too and I've had them in past too. For some reason, before I moved to my current house, the plants always died and didn't grow any flowers. Now in this house they bloom beautifully. I don't know if it has something to do with the amount of sunlight - this current home is somewhat "darker" because of the alignment of the windows :D

Reaction score
I have an orchid too and I've had them in past too. For some reason, before I moved to my current house, the plants always died and didn't grow any flowers. Now in this house they bloom beautifully. I don't know if it has something to do with the amount of sunlight - this current home is somewhat "darker" because of the alignment of the windows :D
I have shifted my plant to a darker area, let us see how it responds. The other plants get about six hours of indirect sun light and are doing well. I am keeping my hope high on this one. :D

Reaction score
I love orchids and did try and grow them for a few years with no success in getting them to bloom. I'll probably give them another shot when I move, the lighting in the new place will be a big priority for me.

Ask a Question