Garlic's ready

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It started to drop so I dug it yesterday :)
DSCN1473.JPG

They're from the biggest blubs I saved from last year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Cool. I may try that this fall. I bought some bulbs a couple of months ago and then discovered I don't plant until spring!:X3:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
That is some great looking garlic, Zigs! Ours is hanging in the barn, drying. We dug it around the first of the month-- with all the rain we had it matured early.
I must say I've never seen such clean garlic. What laundry detergent do you use on it?:)

Reaction score
I didn't realize garlic was ready so early in the season (or at least, it's early in OUR season). I have thought about growing my own but have been told that growing garlic is quite hard. I also am not sure that garlic can be grown in pots and I have to do my garden like that right now.

Do you find growing garlic to be difficult or tricky?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Garlic is probably amongst the most effortless plant tos grow. Simply plant some cloves in October, cover with mulch, harvest around the first of July. It does well mixed at random in flower beds if space is at a premium. Little or no room is required. My zone is 5.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Garlic is probably amongst the most effortless plant tos grow. Simply plant some cloves in October, cover with mulch, harvest around the first of July. It does well mixed at random in flower beds if space is at a premium. Little or no room is required. My zone is 5.

Thank you for this tip on how to grow garlic, @Durgan ! I am in Michigan so this is helpful to me to try and grow some garlic for next year summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Nice! Mine were super small, but I still have two plants going so I'm hoping by the time the tops fall over I'll have something to show for my efforts. Really, I am just happy to have kept them alive all this time and to have figure out good growing conditions for them since all my stuff is in containers. Plan to start them a bit earlier this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you for this tip on how to grow garlic, @Durgan ! I am in Michigan so this is helpful to me to try and grow some garlic for next year summer.

You could probably start getting your cloves ready for planting now. I'm sure you don't have much of a summer in Michigan to speak of, unlike here where the heat and humidity seem to amp up immediately the first official day of summer. My plants will probably start to look pitiful in the next week or so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That looks great! I tried growing it this past year too, but my cloves are small and hard. What's your secret? ;)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That looks great! I tried growing it this past year too, but my cloves are small and hard. What's your secret? ;)

Did you plant garlic from the supermarket? As they are usually treated with a growth inhibitor to prolong shelf life, best to get organic or seed cloves from the garden centre :)

Drying out nicely in the greenhouse now :)
DSCN1536.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I got it from a coworker who was having it overrun their garden. I don't think growth inhibitor was involved, but you remind me that I don't really know the lineage of my garlic. Maybe it's a variety that is small and hard? I can't believe I didn't even think about that before this.

I have pitiful soil so I planted it where the compost bin used to be. I had hoped it would have enough nutrient there, but they might not be getting enough sun. Can they survive with only half a day's sun (5+ hours)?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Being originally from central asia it probably needs full sun. Mines done better this year on a sunnier part of the plot :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I love looking at the photos here. It feels like being in Ilocos, that's the province where garlic is a chief crop. They would hang the harvested garlic by the side of their houses for drying. And when you go to their place, expect a send off gift of garlic. But the garlic there are the small ones with strong potency compared to the large ones.

Ask a Question