Gardening Projects that we want to start...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Right now I just want to finish the hedging. It has been rainless for literally months until I started clipping the ivy hedge this week. Steady drizzle since then, and I'd rather not take the chance of electrocuting myself. We chop the clippings with the lawn mower and it makes the most lovely mulch. I want to use it to start a couple of new veggie beds for next summer.

I am glad others enjoy strawberries. I have kept 2 short rows, one of each variety, but find the slugs really give me a run for the strawberries. Mainly just keeping starts in case I ever decide to give them a real try again. Maybe in the front yard where it is drier.

Long term I would really like to build a little garden shed full of used windows for lots of light and a tin roof to hear the rain. I'm thinking a covered porch area. I'd use it to do my woodworking, and building projects. Maybe if I finished it off nice it could also be a great little reading room and guest cottage. Very long term since the area I want it is not yet cleared of stumps.

Reaction score
Right now I just want to finish the hedging. It has been rainless for literally months until I started clipping the ivy hedge this week. Steady drizzle since then, and I'd rather not take the chance of electrocuting myself. We chop the clippings with the lawn mower and it makes the most lovely mulch. I want to use it to start a couple of new veggie beds for next summer.

I am glad others enjoy strawberries. I have kept 2 short rows, one of each variety, but find the slugs really give me a run for the strawberries. Mainly just keeping starts in case I ever decide to give them a real try again. Maybe in the front yard where it is drier.

Long term I would really like to build a little garden shed full of used windows for lots of light and a tin roof to hear the rain. I'm thinking a covered porch area. I'd use it to do my woodworking, and building projects. Maybe if I finished it off nice it could also be a great little reading room and guest cottage. Very long term since the area I want it is not yet cleared of stumps.

That seems to always happen when we start a project. I hope you get it finished before it turns cold. Your garden shed sounds like a great idea. The little cottage/reading room sounds even better. Good luck with all of your activities!

Reaction score
First things first I plant to build 3 raised beds....but I also want to build a lid for each one that is covered by greenhouse plastic and can be easily placed/removed.

I've also thought about building a drip watering system.

My family and I will be moving into a house of our own eventually so these projects may wait until then. I'm still going to build the beds where I'm at but probably without the lids. Once we move I'd also like to get a huge patch of berry plants that run up the back part of my fence.

Reaction score
First things first I plant to build 3 raised beds....but I also want to build a lid for each one that is covered by greenhouse plastic and can be easily placed/removed.

I've also thought about building a drip watering system.

My family and I will be moving into a house of our own eventually so these projects may wait until then. I'm still going to build the beds where I'm at but probably without the lids. Once we move I'd also like to get a huge patch of berry plants that run up the back part of my fence.

The raised beds are a great idea and to make little green houses out of them in the colder seasons is even better. A berry patch sounds perfect too. I wish you the best of luck with it all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Outside getting stung and learning from experience :p

ROFLOL! That's what I call learning the HARD way!

This year I am restricting myself to plants I already own. My sweetie gave me a small potted rosebush for Valentines Day and a couple things in the months prior. I have my established perennials, and as far as edibles go I am sticking to herbs. At least I'm going to try to lol. I said that, but then some potatoes and onions started to sprout...

Reaction score
I moved 5 months ago and I want to start buying more indoor plants. I have a potted palm in the living room but I'd like some peace lilies and Boston ferns. I don't think a place really looks lived in unless it has plants. My bathroom has a window. Are there any small plants that do well on a bathroom windowsill? It would be nice to be showering and look up and see plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I moved 5 months ago and I want to start buying more indoor plants. I have a potted palm in the living room but I'd like some peace lilies and Boston ferns. I don't think a place really looks lived in unless it has plants. My bathroom has a window. Are there any small plants that do well on a bathroom windowsill? It would be nice to be showering and look up and see plants.

How about a spider plant? If it gets too big you can move it somewhere else in the house and it will make new babies you can then plant and expand your indoor garden. I'm about to start propagating from my medium sized plant I grew from a tiny spider I started in water last year. It lives on my windowsill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I already added the greenhouse and a long raised bed this year. Other than getting everything planted the last thing I need to do is construct the arbor over the new bed for all the vining veggies to make good use of the vertical space.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
We just changed our gate into the back yard from chain link to a nice wooden gate, and now I want to plant some shrubs along the fence on both sides of the gate , so that it will make a hedge along the fence. I am going to put bush cherries and raspberries , both of which should get around 5' tall, plus they will eventually produce fruit.
I also ordered some gooseberries to put along the front fence on the other side of the house, since it is by the bedroom window. The thorns on the gooseberries should discourage any possible intruders from trying to climb over the fence.
Once we get this project finished, and the bushes grow, the back yard should be almost totally private.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 315

Ask a Question