Gardening Projects that we want to start...

Reaction score
On my way over there now! :)

I think there's always hope for strawberry plants. Like any plant, the only thing they want to do is survive, grow and reproduce; all you have to do is try not to stop them. Mine survived 4 inches of snow for over 2 weeks last winter, because it came down so quickly in the night that I had no chance to protect them.. I was hardly expecting strawberries come the summer, but there seems to be more than ever! And now we're in a heatwave, I'm forced to water them sparingly to share what's left of my supplies with veg that need it more, but they don't seem to mind that either. I've never known anything so hardy. :) Don't lose hope just yet. :D

Reaction score
Well, it finally cooled down here, so I got out early this morning, and moved my 5 hollyhocks around to the other side of the house. I naively planted them in our walkway garden, which seemed perfect - it gets lots of sunlight, borders the garage wall for support. But having never grown hollyhocks before, I had no idea just how big they would get! Hopefully they will survive the move. The plants left in the bed are breathing a sigh of relief! I also moved my dusty miller's in with my rose bushes - it's a great colour combination, and they were getting pushed out by my lavender plant. I don't know why I didn't put them there to begin with.

I've still got more moving around to do, but after two hours with bugs up my nose and in my ears, I decided I'd done enough for one morning ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have my hands so full right now that I can't imagine starting another garden project any time soon. Dealing with the caterpillars has been taking up quite a lot of my time lately. Fortunately, they have finally started to pupate.

On my way over there now! :):D
... Don't lose hope just yet.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say.

Reaction score
Well, it finally cooled down here, so I got out early this morning, and moved my 5 hollyhocks around to the other side of the house. I naively planted them in our walkway garden, which seemed perfect - it gets lots of sunlight, borders the garage wall for support. But having never grown hollyhocks before, I had no idea just how big they would get! Hopefully they will survive the move. The plants left in the bed are breathing a sigh of relief! I also moved my dusty miller's in with my rose bushes - it's a great colour combination, and they were getting pushed out by my lavender plant. I don't know why I didn't put them there to begin with.

I've still got more moving around to do, but after two hours with bugs up my nose and in my ears, I decided I'd done enough for one morning ;)

You have been very busy CrazyPlantLady! I had to LOL at the bugs up the nose and in your ears comment. I totally understand. We can't walk outside without ticks attacking us. Even if we just want to go get something out of the vehicles we have to fill up on the bug spray!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

I can relate to that. Some days my homemade mosquito repellent works well and some days they bite anyway. Between them and the heat I usually want to take a nap after I have been in the garden a few hours.

. Even if we just want to go get something out of the vehicles we have to fill up on the bug spray!

Please don't be too liberal with the bug spray. It's poison and small amounts over time can even become toxic to you. We have moisture issues here so it's hard to conquer the mosquitoes, but I am planting more and more aromatic herbs to deter them and the other unwanted pests.

Reaction score
I can relate to that. Some days my homemade mosquito repellent works well and some days they bite anyway. Between them and the heat I usually want to take a nap after I have been in the garden a few hours.

Please don't be too liberal with the bug spray. It's poison and small amounts over time can even become toxic to you. We have moisture issues here so it's hard to conquer the mosquitoes, but I am planting more and more aromatic herbs to deter them and the other unwanted pests.

What do you use as a natural bug spray? I would love the recipe.

Reaction score
You have been very busy CrazyPlantLady! I had to LOL at the bugs up the nose and in your ears comment. I totally understand. We can't walk outside without ticks attacking us. Even if we just want to go get something out of the vehicles we have to fill up on the bug spray!

Yikes, I'd rather have mosquitos and black flies than ticks!

What do you put in your homemade mosquito repellent, Chanell? When it's just mosquitos, I usually just mash up some fresh catnip leaves (I have a number of plants growing) and rub it over my exposed skin and in my hair (it smells sooooooo nice!) but the black flies just don't care whether you have catnip on, or bug spray, or whatever - once you sweat they are all over you

Reaction score
Yikes, I'd rather have mosquitos and black flies than ticks!

The ticks are horrible. My Mama had this problem last year and it helped her to burn off her yard during the summer. That gave them quite a bit of relief but we are not able to burn ours off. I am going to try the garlic idea and I will let you know how that works on the problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
What do you use as a natural bug spray? I would love the recipe.

Well, it kind of depends on what the problem is. My beautiful bargain begonia (seriously, less than 50 cents!) had grown and bloomed and was absolutely gorgeous until it became infested by these weird looking little worms. I didn't even care what they were I just wanted them off so I mixed dish detergent, a bit of cooking oil and water and sprayed the heck out of them.

I usually start with a mild mixture and increase the strength as needed. I don't want to ever risk hurting the plant. A few weeks back I used soap and just enough salt to irritate the snails that were getting onto everything. You could add cayenne pepper, black pepper, and or garlic... it really depends on what you are trying to get rid of.

I just read that coffee can be used as a pesticide spray as well. This link is interesting; I may try the vinegar spray to keep off mosquitoes:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6793715_homemade-using-beer-dish-soap.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
What do you put in your homemade mosquito repellent, Chanell? When it's just mosquitos, I usually just mash up some fresh catnip leaves (I have a number of plants growing) and rub it over my exposed skin and in my hair (it smells sooooooo nice!) but the black flies just don't care whether you have catnip on, or bug spray, or whatever - once you sweat they are all over you

I have to try and propagate my mom's catnip so I can try that. I've rubbed basil on my skin with success, but it only lasts for about half an hour. I had this cheap olive oil that was mixed with soy oil which is supposed to repel mosquitoes so I added tea tree oil to that and I use it before I go outside. I need to get more oils to mix in and improve it.

I haven't tried this one yet, but I'd like to:
http://www.gardenista.com/posts/diy-bug-repellent-balm

Here's the link to my gardening pin board, there's more stuff there for making your own sprays:
http://pinterest.com/cdgautreaux/great-gardening-ideas-and-tips/

Reaction score
Well, it kind of depends on what the problem is. My beautiful bargain begonia (seriously, less than 50 cents!) had grown and bloomed and was absolutely gorgeous until it became infested by these weird looking little worms. I didn't even care what they were I just wanted them off so I mixed dish detergent, a bit of cooking oil and water and sprayed the heck out of them.

I usually start with a mild mixture and increase the strength as needed. I don't want to ever risk hurting the plant. A few weeks back I used soap and just enough salt to irritate the snails that were getting onto everything. You could add cayenne pepper, black pepper, and or garlic... it really depends on what you are trying to get rid of.

I just read that coffee can be used as a pesticide spray as well. This link is interesting; I may try the vinegar spray to keep off mosquitoes:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6793715_homemade-using-beer-dish-soap.html

Be careful with the vinegar mixture. A FB friend used a homemade vinegar based mosquito spray for her pets and they were attacked by wasps or hornets because of the attraction to the vinegar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Be careful with the vinegar mixture. A FB friend used a homemade vinegar based mosquito spray for her pets and they were attacked by wasps or hornets because of the attraction to the vinegar.

Yikes! So much for that idea. The last thing I need is wasps buzzing around me anymore than they already do. There are a lot of them in the back of the yard buzzing around this nuisance wild vine that's growing on the fence. Where would we all be without the Internet and forums like this where we could compare notes?

Reaction score
The one I would really like to try is espalier apples. I intended to start that this year but the two trees I'm moving in are a little too mature to start the training, I think, and then I changed my mind about the design I want so now I need to find a good source for a rather large quantity of young, unbranched trees... Not to mention the cash to buy them.

I'd also like to start an lilac hedge to provide a little screening along an open side of my yard, and I've drawn up plans for planter boxes and trellises for the south side of my house but that ball is in my carpenter-husband's court now.

Reaction score
Outside getting stung and learning from experience :p

LOL yes me too CrazyPlantLady because I sure was going to try it!

The one I would really like to try is espalier apples. I intended to start that this year but the two trees I'm moving in are a little too mature to start the training, I think, and then I changed my mind about the design I want so now I need to find a good source for a rather large quantity of young, unbranched trees... Not to mention the cash to buy them.

I'd also like to start an lilac hedge to provide a little screening along an open side of my yard, and I've drawn up plans for planter boxes and trellises for the south side of my house but that ball is in my carpenter-husband's court now.

I love the way espalier apples or fruit trees look. I would love to try this myself but I am not sure I have the patience. A lilac hedge sounds great! Good luck with it all.

Ask a Question