Garden tip: don't water in the rain

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Its funny because a couple of days after this post, I was outside under a tree in the rain waiting for my ride and I noticed across the street, the sprinkler was going at the Yacht Club. Now this wasn't an automatic sprinkler, it was one that you physically had to turn off and on....I just shook my head...lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This has turned into a really funny thread! I can't believe there are so many people out there that are actually watering while it's raining. I could see watering when the rain isn't enough, like yesterday -- I picked up everything and went inside when it started raining. I had already watered though so it wasn't that big of a deal - but in the mornings if things are wet I always like to wait and see how my plants progress in the heat and sun before adding more water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
That's different. The plants you are watering are sheltered ,which is different from standing out in a downpour carrying an umbrella and watering plants that are already wet.

Your watering makes total sense. It's the people rushing to water their plants before it starts raining who are nuts.

I may be watering plants that have a little shelter, but I still have to go out in the open to water them, so you will sometimes find me in a raincoat watering my trees with a hose. Fortunately there is a high wall around my bonsai area, so none of my neighbors get to witness me doing this. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...but I still have to go out in the open to water them, so you will sometimes find me in a raincoat watering my trees with a hose.

The thought of you standing in a raincoat watering the other plants is hilarious! Have you thought about self-watering planters or those globe things you put in flowerpots? How about a downspout diverter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
The thought of you standing in a raincoat watering the other plants is hilarious! Have you thought about self-watering planters or those globe things you put in flowerpots? How about a downspout diverter?

I've got far too many plants to try those methods. In any case one of the first things I was taught about bonsai is that the soil should drain well. I think using a self-watering method might cause the soil to get too wet and put my trees at risk of root rot. When I did my club's beginner's course six years ago one of the teachers spoke of doing the same thing so I'm not the only crazy person I know.

Fortunately I don't have to use my raincoat for watering very often as it usually rains in the late afternoon or evening here and my watering is done long before that. It's just one of those problems I have to put up with from time to time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I frequently water in the rain.
Even here in soggy Britain there is not enough rain to keep pots with thirsty plants, like dahlias or courgettes as moist as they like, and if we do get a warm dry spell, then a shower will just wet the soil surface, and either soak through very quickly, or evaporate off.
If you water during a shower, you are likely to give your plants' roots the proper soaking they need.

Reaction score
I sometimes do water in the rain, because the irrigation system is on a timer that I either forget or don't want to run out and get wet to override. But it is drip irrigation so at least the neighbors aren't laughing at me for doing it! ;-)

Reaction score
LOL! How silly! Now, why in the world would you do that? I definitely wouldn't stand in the rain with a rain coat on to water my plants...ummm...duh....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I was in the greenhouse watering everything during a thunderstorm last week.. felt really dumb being out there with the house when it was pouring outside, but it had to be done

Reaction score
A lot of people do water in the rain in Vancouver. You shouldn't but here is the reason: Automatic sprinkling systems. Some people have the systems installed and turned on by the installer in the spring and then they do their pre programmed thing until November when someone comes to turn them off. As a result, one can often be out for a walk on a rainy day and see many homes watering their lawns and gardens. Not only is it a waste of water, it can deprive the soil of nutrients as they get washed down too deep for many plants to utilize.

While automatic sprinkling is a good thing, it is only good if the owner has a brain and uses it wisely.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is amazing that some people actually water their outdoor plants or lawn in the rain. If it has rained very hard and the ground is soaked the water they add will probably just run off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is amazing that some people actually water their outdoor plants or lawn in the rain. If it has rained very hard and the ground is soaked the water they add will probably just run off.
A direct result of modern education where the professor of Commom Sense has been fired and replaced by a politically correct burger flipper

Ask a Question