Garden tip: don't water in the rain

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I just had to double check - water freezes at 32 F. I thought it was in the 20s, good thing I decided to look.

I've never had an issue with an outdoor plant in winter because of water temperature. I guess the water doesn't get that cold after all. It may also help that I water at the container level and I don't wet the foliage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
So I was reading this green gardening article online and the web page had links to other articles, including one on using less water in the garden. It was one of those that is setup as a few paragraphs of mini articles spread out over several pages instead of single article on a single page (nutty, I know).

Anyway, when it got to the third or fourth page/tip the headline read "Don't Water in the Rain." I thought to myself, "no kidding." Who the heck waters their lawn/garden plants in the rain?

You may not believe this, Chanell but my ex-MIL had a neighbor who did water his lawn in the rain. I asked her why and she had no idea. Well I couldn't let it be and even though I didn't know him that well, I asked him.. He said and I quote "My water pressure is better in the rain and that's why". I didn't know whether to laugh, shake my head or what to do. So I said, "That's interesting" and left...lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That is hilarious! What could you possibly say to something like that? People are truly amazing sometimes, but I think that was worthy of both a laugh and some head shaking.

Reaction score
You may not believe this, Chanell but my ex-MIL had a neighbor who did water his lawn in the rain. I asked her why and she had no idea. Well I couldn't let it be and even though I didn't know him that well, I asked him.. He said and I quote "My water pressure is better in the rain and that's why". I didn't know whether to laugh, shake my head or what to do. So I said, "That's interesting" and left...lol

That's ridiculous. It's a wonder some people survive to adult age without natural selection picking them off.

Reaction score
Does sound like there are a few of those loonies out there after all.. and yes, those images do look funny...
Now these are not a cartoons.. these are real
watering_in_the_rain_poster-rdd9798eaf51b495d9aac2488da04db41_js8_152.jpg
3087292_700b.jpg

Those pictures are too freaking funny. It doesn't even occur to them as they are making water fall on plants, that water is already falling on those plants. Don't they see the other water? Don't they notice that the ground is already wet?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
That's ridiculous. It's a wonder some people survive to adult age without natural selection picking them off.
I agree, Acsapa. I was stunned by his answer and the truth is he did it every time it rained. He lived alone and I don't have a clue how he managed to maintain a household with crazy thoughts like that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
That is hilarious! What could you possibly say to something like that? People are truly amazing sometimes, but I think that was worthy of both a laugh and some head shaking.

Trust me, Chanell, I couldn't even make up something as weird as that. And his straight face while he was telling me made it even funnier. I'm sure he had other oddities but I had no need to find them out...lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I confess I occasionally have to water in the rain. Not the lawn or the garden plants, but my bonsai and pre-bonsai trees. There's a reason for it though. Many of them are up against walls which could block the rain from getting to them if it falls at the wrong angle. Some also have a bit of roof overhang which can keep the rain away. And I have to drag the hose into my greenhouse which doesn't get much rain inside, even when the window in the roof is open.

Reaction score
LOL all of the pictures of watering in the rain was good for a laught tonight! Thank you very much. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Blue eyes, even though it was silly for the neighbor to be out watering in the rain, his premise was probably right, about the water pressure being better. Since most people would not be watering, mo sprinklers running, etc, the water pressure would undoubtedly be higher.
That still doesn't change the fact that the lawn does not need to be watered if it is raining.
Sometimes, people's logic is just way off the mark, even if it is right...

Reaction score
So I was reading this green gardening article online and the web page had links to other articles, including one on using less water in the garden. It was one of those that is setup as a few paragraphs of mini articles spread out over several pages instead of single article on a single page (nutty, I know).

Anyway, when it got to the third or fourth page/tip the headline read "Don't Water in the Rain." I thought to myself, "no kidding." Who the heck waters their lawn/garden plants in the rain?
Honestly, there are a lot of people that water in the rain. Or right before the rain is about to start - they hurry to get it done before they get wet. Some people simply have no common sense, I swear! A friend at work was telling me about watching his neighbour outside watering, watching the rain clouds coming, and trying to get done in time. Maybe just more crazy people live in Canada?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Blue eyes, even though it was silly for the neighbor to be out watering in the rain, his premise was probably right, about the water pressure being better. Since most people would not be watering, mo sprinklers running, etc, the water pressure would undoubtedly be higher.
That still doesn't change the fact that the lawn does not need to be watered if it is raining.
Sometimes, people's logic is just way off the mark, even if it is right...
You are right "happyflowerlady" , the water pressure would be a lot better because he was the only silly one, watering. I guess people can find legitimate reasons for their quirks if they look hard enough...lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Honestly, there are a lot of people that water in the rain. Or right before the rain is about to start - they hurry to get it done before they get wet. Some people simply have no common sense, I swear! A friend at work was telling me about watching his neighbour outside watering, watching the rain clouds coming, and trying to get done in time. Maybe just more crazy people live in Canada?
Lol, maybe that is why they call us the Crazy Canucks... People and their silly quirks sure do make for interesting posts, don't they:)

Reaction score
I confess I occasionally have to water in the rain. Not the lawn or the garden plants, but my bonsai and pre-bonsai trees. There's a reason for it though. Many of them are up against walls which could block the rain from getting to them if it falls at the wrong angle. Some also have a bit of roof overhang which can keep the rain away. And I have to drag the hose into my greenhouse which doesn't get much rain inside, even when the window in the roof is open.

That's different. The plants you are watering are sheltered ,which is different from standing out in a downpour carrying an umbrella and watering plants that are already wet.

Your watering makes total sense. It's the people rushing to water their plants before it starts raining who are nuts.

Reaction score
I can't believe you guys found so many pictures of people watering plants in the rain. Although, it is common sense a lot people set up automatic sprinklers that water at certain times of day. Some genius decided to put a sensor on the sprinklers to prevent embarrassment.

Ask a Question