Garden makeover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They look fabulous. What a pleasure they must be to you . I have just come in from my garden having planted some mini rhodedendrums and prim8las which I have not seen before, I will send pics tmorrow as it is dark now. I can’t wait for everything to explode into a carpet of colour. I was surprised to hear about your frosts was unaware drought had them given temps you told me about. So ignorant. I’m still looking Into my zone, truth be told I have not looked properly. I will. Speak soon. Kerry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi it would be nice to chat freelv. My email (e-mail address removed) . Speak soon. Kerry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you hi there , who are you and what’s your garden like?!

I'm Sheal and living near Inverness. I've only lived in my current home 18 months and I'm busy retrieving my gardens from nature, having been neglected for some years by the elderly previous owner. I intend to keep my front garden in tune with nature but both gardens will be in keeping with the rural aspect.

The front.
042.JPG

The back.
058.JPG

View from the back garden which I never tire of. :)
059.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi it would be nice to chat freelv. My email (e-mail address removed) . Speak soon. Kerry

Kerry:

I'd be happy to open up a garden dialogue with you. tt's been snowing today (flurries)., with temps in the mid 30F.... just above freezing.The only flower blooming at this time are SNOWDROPS. (See Pic)..They are a small perrenial bulb. Sprout early Spring before Crocus, Daffodils & Tulips. It's a nice harbinger of Spring.

If it warms up a little, I'll go out to clean some of the perrenial flower beds.

Didn't pull out any over-wintered Dahlia Tubers today., Maybe tomorrow.

Keep me posted on your gardening endeavors.

John

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm Sheal and living near Inverness. I've only lived in my current home 18 months and I'm busy retrieving my gardens from nature, having been neglected for some years by the elderly previous owner. I intend to keep my front garden in tune with nature but both gardens will be in keeping with the rural aspect.

The front.
View attachment 51034

The back.
View attachment 51035

View attachment 51036

The front.
View attachment 51034

The back.
View attachment 51035

View attachment 51036

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi sheal, quite a garden you have thee, front and back. Lotto work with! Thinking caps needed! Lots of potential for naturalised plantin at the front ie hellebores, hostas snow drops, plenty of room anyway. The back garden is incredibly tidy and kooks well kept, perhaps increase borders so you can introduce colour, roses peonies astrantia foxgloves, wow pjanting worlds your oyster. Spectacular views. Luck you. Cheers now kerry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kerry:

I'd be happy to open up a garden dialogue with you. tt's been snowing today (flurries)., with temps in the mid 30F.... just above freezing.The only flower blooming at this time are SNOWDROPS. (See Pic)..They are a small perrenial bulb. Sprout early Spring before Crocus, Daffodils & Tulips. It's a nice harbinger of Spring.

If it warms up a little, I'll go out to clean some of the perrenial flower beds.

Didn't pull out any over-wintered Dahlia Tubers today., Maybe tomorrow.

Keep me posted on your gardening endeavors.

John

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Great re dialoge, you’ll have to send me your email. I love snowdrops, don’t they make you smile.! Mine have gone over no but I have lots of Tete a tete daffs, some hyacinths and lots of buds waiting to burst on shrubs. It’s largely about 10degrees centigrade at the moment which is great as long as we don’t get sudden frosts which will kill of that vulnerable new growth. I’ll see you new picks as things start doing there thing. ! Still planting out tubers-dahlias and peonies. Just started buying clematis. Also forgot to mention I have everlasting sweet pea ready to go at fences on both sides. Speak soon. Kerry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi sheal, quite a garden you have thee, front and back. Lotto work with! Thinking caps needed! Lots of potential for naturalised plantin at the front ie hellebores, hostas snow drops, plenty of room anyway. The back garden is incredibly tidy and kooks well kept, perhaps increase borders so you can introduce colour, roses peonies astrantia foxgloves, wow pjanting worlds your oyster. Spectacular views. Luck you. Cheers now kerry

Yes @Kerry the front garden will have mainly natural plants. I've already started that with wild primroses. I can't have borders in the back garden because the ground drops away on the left and back boundaries and on the right is a field with horses that will devour anything they take a fancy too. Plants also have to be hardy as temperatures can drop to -15C here in the Highlands and I live just above the snow line.

Kerry it would be helpful if you would put your area in your avatar box please. It gives everyone a guide for climate etc. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes @Kerry the front garden will have mainly natural plants. I've already started that with wild primroses. I can't have borders in the back garden because the ground drops away on the left and back boundaries and on the right is a field with horses that will devour anything they take a fancy too. Plants also have to be hardy as temperatures can drop to -15C here in the Highlands and I live just above the snow line.

Kerry it would be helpful if you would put your area in your avatar box please. It gives everyone a guide for climate etc. :)
Hi I am new to this so don’t know what avatar is yet. I’m will get round to it. Having seen your pics I did notice the fences looked a little frail, perhaps this could be a first for thought to deter the horses, perhaps a hawthorn hedge? Not sure but with such a large space it’s going to be a big job.! Perhaps a rose hedge would be more attractive. Both would be permenant and quite high maintenance. I can tell you I live in the Midlands near the NEC and temperatures are currently about 12 degrees, this can drop though and also at night it’s much lower about 2 degrees. Hope to speak soon. Kerry

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Re: video on snowdrops

Haha! I thought there was a bird in my living room whilst watching this! :unsure::joyful: So nice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
@Kerry an avatar is the picture in the box to the left of your posts. I f you hit on your name at the top of the page it will give you a drop down box. Click on account details and that will take you to the right area. :)

I won't be planting any hedges, as you say they are high maintenance and I'm getting on a bit. My last garden had 150ft of hedging, never again! :) The fencing is adequate for a rural position although one is about to be replaced by the owner of the neighbouring field, the posts are rotten. The horses don't attempt to push through the fence whereas cattle or sheep would.

Ask a Question