Master gardener training

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United States
Hi folks,

It's been a while but I wanted to share that I am undergoing the "master gardener" training here in Oregon. It's run through Oregon State University's extension service. It consists of eight weeks of classes, with a ton of supplemental reading and assignments. Then a fifty hour volunteer commitment from April through October. It's going to be a hell of a time sink but I think I will learn a lot. My emphasis is still on vegetable gardening (at least at home) but I hope to learn more about trees, shrubs, berries, etc. So far I am having some trouble keeping up on the supplemental reading and assignments but I think I just need to manage my time better.

The only real downside is that I will be doing so much stuff for the program that I won't be able to do as much in my own garden this year. I am thinking of only doing half as much as I did last year and putting in a cover crop in the rest of the land that will grow throughout the whole year. Probably a combo of crimson clover, buckwheat, and cereal rye.

Has anyone else undergone a similar training regimen in their state?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi folks,

It's been a while but I wanted to share that I am undergoing the "master gardener" training here in Oregon. It's run through Oregon State University's extension service. It consists of eight weeks of classes, with a ton of supplemental reading and assignments. Then a fifty hour volunteer commitment from April through October. It's going to be a hell of a time sink but I think I will learn a lot. My emphasis is still on vegetable gardening (at least at home) but I hope to learn more about trees, shrubs, berries, etc. So far I am having some trouble keeping up on the supplemental reading and assignments but I think I just need to manage my time better.

The only real downside is that I will be doing so much stuff for the program that I won't be able to do as much in my own garden this year. I am thinking of only doing half as much as I did last year and putting in a cover crop in the rest of the land that will grow throughout the whole year. Probably a combo of crimson clover, buckwheat, and cereal rye.

Has anyone else undergone a similar training regimen in their state?
Yes-I have been trained by Becky who has taken the course work here in Alabama. This allows her to tell me exactly what went wrong when I do something backwards in the garden! It is amazing the breadth of coverage in the coursework! The outside work exposes one to a lot one might not otherwise see, and any required ongoing credits are not just tea parties but also an update program for current practice. It was a load, even with Becky who has a nearly perfect memory for these things. She has reams of study materials that are also a formal core for a nice library on the subject.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
DM is suggesting that you involve your beloved to help you. Get a beloved to finish the course. That sounds so tough. I really like these extension courses as they give people a chance to change paths. Before, people have jobs for life, no more! So hopefully you can enjoy it rather than endure it. Think it might be a good idea to talk to the course co-ordinator to see if you can take it easy and enjoy the course rather than feeling overwhelmed.

Ask a Question