Garden makeover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I’m Kerry, just want to chat with fellow gardeners keen gardener but now limited with mobility. I have completetey changed garden to accomomadate this. Appreciate any input. Pics to follow. Dark now!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey it’s sunday !! But your right!!

Attachments

• 56ECB6A7-6AD6-441D-83FD-7E34287F0265.jpeg
    56ECB6A7-6AD6-441D-83FD-7E34287F0265.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 878A6808-25D8-412E-B5D6-EC748680760D.jpeg
    878A6808-25D8-412E-B5D6-EC748680760D.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 177
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks. There’s a lot of work to do but I’m hoping for loads of colour by summer. Could you send me a pic of yours?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, Kerry!

Wonder where in the UK you are!

You have a very good size garden. Why not write to Garden Rescue and ask them to give you some idea?

You could put some evergreen in certain places to put down a structure. For example, Box, round or triangle.

Some Confederate jasmine which is evergreen.

Hebe evergreen.

Some camellias Williamsii Debbie, EG Waterhouse, Brushfield. You could buy them cheaply on fle**** and they will flower the following year.

Buy some alstroemeria seeds or flowers and plant the plants somewhere hot and sunny and they will do their own business. They flowers months on end every year. A gem of an investment. Penstemons are godsends as they flower well late into November and they are perennials. Gauras are happy perennials too.

One or two Stipa giganteas at the back. Salvia Amistad at the back and Joy, Salmon Dance and Nightmoth at the front.

You could freegle for your plants. Some snowdrop where it is with dappled shade. Some hellebores which will come up every year and smile at you next to the snowdrops.

Viburnum Plicatum Mariesii only cost about £8 and you can get one reduced at £3 when you are lucky and they even do it in B&Q.

One green or red acer palmatum with narrow spread, Just get one and layer branches for new plants.

See if you could freegle some big plant pots and plant bamboos and make a pond with them. You could even grow beans in them or your salad leaves. Some strawberries for basket.

For the climbers, you could buy Diamontina clematis,

Crystal Fountain Clematis

I got them every cheaply (came to me tiny last year, but I have only lost or misplaced one out of 3) Also, you could do worse than getting a Madame Julia Correvon! That's a beauty which will flower or re-bloom throughout the year! Clematis Macropetala Markham's pink is a rare beauty

Princess Kate is my favorite too

You could even have some dwarf fruit trees.

As you have mobility problem, raised troughs is probably your answer. As I said, email garden rescue and part with a bit of money and the nice trio might give you a structure which will enrich your life for a long time to come.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum! Great to have you here :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Today is Thursday 3/21/2018.,10 weeks before our last frost., still too cold in NE Ohio USA to plant much outside beside PEAS. Now taking some of my overwintered Dahlia Tubers out of their winter storage and potting them in the basement. Plan on starting a few flats of hot pepper seeds... Hungarian Medium Block, Hungarian Hot Wax, Habenaro & Jalepeno.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, Kerry!

Wonder where in the UK you are!

You have a very good size garden. Why not write to Garden Rescue and ask them to give you some idea?

You could put some evergreen in certain places to put down a structure. For example, Box, round or triangle.

Some Confederate jasmine which is evergreen.

Hebe evergreen.

Some camellias Williamsii Debbie, EG Waterhouse, Brushfield. You could buy them cheaply on fle**** and they will flower the following year.

Buy some alstroemeria seeds or flowers and plant the plants somewhere hot and sunny and they will do their own business. They flowers months on end every year. A gem of an investment. Penstemons are godsends as they flower well late into November and they are perennials. Gauras are happy perennials too.

One or two Stipa giganteas at the back. Salvia Amistad at the back and Joy, Salmon Dance and Nightmoth at the front.

You could freegle for your plants. Some snowdrop where it is with dappled shade. Some hellebores which will come up every year and smile at you next to the snowdrops.

Viburnum Plicatum Mariesii only cost about £8 and you can get one reduced at £3 when you are lucky and they even do it in B&Q.

One green or red acer palmatum with narrow spread, Just get one and layer branches for new plants.

See if you could freegle some big plant pots and plant bamboos and make a pond with them. You could even grow beans in them or your salad leaves. Some strawberries for basket.

For the climbers, you could buy Diamontina clematis,
View attachment 50876

Crystal Fountain Clematis

View attachment 50877

I got them every cheaply (came to me tiny last year, but I have only lost or misplaced one out of 3) Also, you could do worse than getting a Madame Julia Correvon! That's a beauty which will flower or re-bloom throughout the year! Clematis Macropetala Markham's pink is a rare beauty

View attachment 50878

Princess Kate is my favorite too

View attachment 50879

You could even have some dwarf fruit trees.

As you have mobility problem, raised troughs is probably your answer. As I said, email garden rescue and part with a bit of money and the nice trio might give you a structure which will enrich your life for a long time to come.
Wow that’s loads of fab advice. Thank you, I can almost feel you in my garden! Clearly you are a keen and accomplished gardener yourself. I would love to see some pics of your garden. Yes I live in uk, just waiting for the real spring, I always think of myself as the frustrated gardener at Rhys time of the year! Once again thanks for advice which actually match some I have had, let me know where you are in the world. Cheers kerry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow that’s loads of fab advice. Thank you, I can almost feel you in my garden! Clearly you are a keen and accomplished gardener yourself. I would love to see some pics of your garden. Yes I live in uk, just waiting for the real spring, I always think of myself as the frustrated gardener at Rhys time of the year! Once again thanks for advice which actually match some I have had, let me know where you are in the world. Cheers kerry
Oh sorry, just spotted your in Essex !!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh sorry, just spotted your in Essex !!!!
Today is Thursday 3/21/2018.,10 weeks before our last frost., still too cold in NE Ohio USA to plant much outside beside PEAS. Now taking some of my overwintered Dahlia Tubers out of their winter storage and potting them in the basement. Plan on starting a few flats of hot pepper seeds... Hungarian Medium Block, Hungarian Hot Wax, Habenaro & Jalepeno.
Hi John iits 22nd MARCH today. Love the pics of dahlias ,I’ve actually just received an order of 30 odd dahlia tubers! Same type but purple and lilac colours, I’ve yet to plant them up, any tips? You like your food hot then ?! All those peppers. Are you the chef of the house? Clearly a foodie ! Speak soon. Kerry

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Kerry:

I grow alot of flowers & veggies, but give 99% away to friends, neighbors, family & co-workers. I'm in Zone 6a. How about you? Dont water the Dahlia Tubers until they 've sprouted. They're very susceptible to rot. I'm not partial to the really hot peppers like Ghost, Scorpion & Habenaro. Jalepeno is about the hottest for my taste buds.

Dahlia Bouqet.jpg
Dahlia Bouqet.jpg
Dahlia Karma Irene.jpg
Dahlia Matty Boo.jpg
Dahlia Lemonade.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question