FYI - Invasive Tree Root I D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I'm finding this orange colored root in an area several feet ( like 15 - 20 ft. : 4.527 - 6 m ) from the tree canopy and roots are invading our vegg garden area. Net research of root color and a app pic of the bark ( no leaves in March ) says it is a invasive White Mulberry imported a long time ago to promote Silk worm production. I'm thankful this one is fruitless. No blooms at all.

Attachments

• Root- 21.JPG
    Root- 21.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 52
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear, what will you do about the tree? Would you be able to get it removed? I understand the white Mulberry is illegal to plant there and is a real nuisance. The ones that bear fruit can make a lot of mess can`t they.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I could take the tree out myself, stump and all. It's only a 25 footer with a 12inch trunk, but I'd rather not go through a divorce that would ensue after 55 years of marriage. :( The way it is at SandburRanch, the wife doesn't even want a tree pruned much less removed and her suggestion would be to move the garden to another location. OH WELL, my gardening days are about over anyway.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I have a bald cypress that has a root system that invades a part of the garden. There is no way my wife or myself would ever remove that tree...it is that valuable and beautiful to us.... But we can manage the root system which on a cypress is very extensive with a middle buster running it through the area behind my garden tractor each spring. Its a compromise that works for us.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...and it`s a therapy we all need - don`t you dare give it up !! It doesn`t matter how much I ache, or how mucky and tired I am, I always feel better when I`ve spent time doing the garden, much better than sitting in a chair feeling glum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm finding this orange colored root in an area several feet ( like 15 - 20 ft. : 4.527 - 6 m ) from the tree canopy and roots are invading our vegg garden area. Net research of root color and a app pic of the bark ( no leaves in March ) says it is a invasive White Mulberry imported a long time ago to promote Silk worm production. I'm thankful this one is fruitless. No blooms at all.
The Paper Mulberry tree has a similar root. I use to find that orange root all over my yard from the two paper mulberry trees I had in my yard, which are equally as invasive. I chopped them down and had to keep removing 'Suckers' for months after their removal. I don't throw out any yard waste, so I also had to chop down the suckers from log cuttings I let decompose into the ground. No longer a problem.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I could take the tree out myself, stump and all. It's only a 25 footer with a 12inch trunk, but I'd rather not go through a divorce that would ensue after 55 years of marriage. :( The way it is at SandburRanch, the wife doesn't even want a tree pruned much less removed and her suggestion would be to move the garden to another location. OH WELL, my gardening days are about over anyway.
You could cut the roots where they invade the veg patch.

Ask a Question