Identifying this plant for my mother-in-law

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
I have attached a photo of a plant that I would like to identify. It is unhealthy at this time but it has now been repotted. If it continues to not doing well, I will be back for advice. I think the soil was too wet but we will now see. Thank you for your help. One thing I will ask though - my mother-in#law doesn’t mist it and I think she should. We live in a very cold, dry climate.

Attachments

• 4376F21E-FEFE-4472-B68D-175C868F6A37.jpeg
    4376F21E-FEFE-4472-B68D-175C868F6A37.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 62
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I think what you have is a small variety of palm, Chamaedorea elegans, the neanthe bella palm or parlour palm. It doesn’t get really big (2-3 feet maximum / less than a meter) but is incredibly tough. Often multiple plants will be placed in the pot, but I have also grown them with only a single plant in a pot. Misting is not recommended if this is your variety of palm. I did not mist mine when I lived in central Idaho.

image.jpg image.jpg

The plant I see pictured would benefit from having a regular watering schedule (let top soil dry before watering. This was one of the first plants I had so I think it can handle some over watering as long as it is not during the winter.) Also having the wilted/dry fronds removed will improve its appearance. It will continue to produce new fronds and make up for any lost fronds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would not recommend misting of plants for a variety of reasons. If you are worried about humidity it is much better to group plants and/or use a pebble and sand tray under the plants half filled with water. If I’m using essential oils I will place the defuser in the vicinity of some plants. Personally I have never found the parlor palm needing extra humidity. We heat with wood so the house is quite dry in the winter.

Ask a Question