Fresh vegetable juice to help feed growing plant...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what strikes me is that compost and compost tea is already decomposed, having stuff decomposing round the plant might attract disease and be unpleasant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This thought just came to me, born out of total ignorance, but I have no shame. :)

I was reading about a fertilizer for vegetables that contains Calcium and other minerals, etc. that is supposed to be so good for vigorous plant grown and strength. So, what would be the problem with using juice from freshly juiced vegetables to add nutrients to the soil? You could dilute it with water. It would certainly contain vital nutrients.

The only thing that might be a problem would be attracting pests. But, diluting it should help. Also, only pouring it around the immediate base of the stem instead of all over the soil area.

We drink juiced vegetables and fruits to acquire needed nutrients for ourselves, so maybe it would work with plants. They might freak out, though, if you watered them with the juice of the same type of plant...cannibal plants.

It might be interesting to share a morning juice drink with the plants. Any thoughts?
While it's true that vegetable juice can contain many beneficial nutrients, using it as a fertilizer for plants may not be the best idea.

Firstly, vegetable juice can be very acidic, which can harm the roots of plants and alter the pH of the soil, making it less hospitable to many types of plants. Additionally, there may be other components of the juice that could be harmful to plants, such as sugars or preservatives.

Secondly, it's important to remember that plants require a specific balance of nutrients to grow and thrive. While vegetable juice may contain some of these nutrients, it may not have the correct balance for the specific type of plant you are growing. Using a balanced fertilizer that is specifically formulated for the type of plant you are growing is a safer and more reliable way to ensure that your plants are getting the nutrients they need.

Finally, as you mentioned, using vegetable juice as a fertilizer could attract pests and other unwanted wildlife to your garden. This could cause more harm than good and create additional problems that you would need to address.

In summary, while the idea of using vegetable juice as a fertilizer may be tempting, it's best to stick to using a balanced fertilizer that is formulated for the type of plant you are growing.

For more info check this resource
Facebook Page:
Youtube Channel Link:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Look at nature. Plants drop their fruits on the ground around them. Occasionally an animal takes it away but not always.

Trees drop their leaves.

Basically the plant is fertilizing itself by doing this.

Old growth forests didn't get that way because someone was fertilizing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Look at nature. Plants drop their fruits on the ground around them. Occasionally an animal takes it away but not always.

Trees drop their leaves.

Basically the plant is fertilizing itself by doing this.

Old growth forests didn't get that way because someone was fertilizing.
True, but my garden is a controlled artificial environment. When fruit falls I pick it up and put it on the compost, I don't want holes in the lawn., or to attract wasps where I might walk. I think, if I got a load of free fruit juice in five gallon cans I would take the same approach and water the compost heap with it. I compost kitchen waste separately so the heap tends to dryness and benefits from watering.

PS, I don't have to pick up the fallen plums, the badger eats them :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I actually had the same idea randomly enter my brain. I truly believe it’s worth exploring. I read a lot of comments about cost. However, if one was to use garden scraps as a juicing material that would eliminate cost concerns. There is such thing as compost teas & plant teas that extract nutrients over a period of time. I think it’s fair to explore the idea of essentially mimicking this process to obtain the same end result. One would definitely need to dilute the extraction to balance PH and not cause harm or nutrient lock out.

As for attracting pests into the garden.. In my opinion, diversity in the garden should be welcomed to create a balanced food web. Adding organic matter back into the garden, especially matter of an already established plant within the garden that has extracted nutrients from the soil, cannot be harmful unless the solution isn’t at a suitable PH range.

This idea should be considered and tested.

Ask a Question