Fresh basil for pizza baking!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Just wanted to tell my experience using fresh basil straight from the garden. Yesterday I baked two pizzas, one with dry commercial basil and another with fresh basil. The difference is huge. The flavor and smell of the tomato sauce was incredible with the fresh one.

Try to use fresh ingredients, it's worth it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There are few things better than tomatoes with fresh basil! Especially if you chuck in some fresh mozzarella too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
If I were wanting to use basil on pizza dough to bake. I would not do it either way. I would take the fresh basil and make a good pesto from it, with the walnuts (or pine nuts) the olive oil, and the cheese. then take the pesto and smear it on the dough evenly enough, then layering thin slices of fresh tomatoes on top. Possibly some thin slices of raw mushrooms (or not) and perhaps then some mozz cheese. then bake.

Also, if you are making your own pizza dough, you can need into the dough fresh basil also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If I were wanting to use basil on pizza dough to bake. I would not do it either way. I would take the fresh basil and make a good pesto from it, with the walnuts (or pine nuts) the olive oil, and the cheese. then take the pesto and smear it on the dough evenly enough, then layering thin slices of fresh tomatoes on top. Possibly some thin slices of raw mushrooms (or not) and perhaps then some mozz cheese. then bake.

Also, if you are making your own pizza dough, you can need into the dough fresh basil also.

I put fresh basil on my homemade pizza dough and it is truly amazing! However, my family and I occasionally make a pizza with chicken and pesto pizza and it is truly delicious. When we don't have any fresh basil to make the pesto, we use spinach instead to make the pesto. I'm not really a big fan of chicken on pizza, but chicken with any kind of pesto is delicious on pizza.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Basil can be frozen to use in the "no-basil" months. I chop it fine, add just enough water to let it stick together, and freeze it in ice cube trays. The basil cubes are put in plastic bags and kept frozen until needed. I can pull out two or three cubes (each is about one tablespoon) and make pesto, add to soups, or even thaw and add to bread dough for extra taste. I usually make lots of spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce when the tomatoes are coming on in the summer, and that uses up quite a bit of fresh basil.
My favorite basil is Genovese, a large leaf Italian variety.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I put fresh basil on my homemade pizza dough and it is truly amazing! However, my family and I occasionally make a pizza with chicken and pesto pizza and it is truly delicious. When we don't have any fresh basil to make the pesto, we use spinach instead to make the pesto. I'm not really a big fan of chicken on pizza, but chicken with any kind of pesto is delicious on pizza.

Seconded! I love pizza with pesto instead of tomato. It's lovely with artichoke hearts too, if you ever get bored with chicken :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In the summer, if I have good basil growing, I dried them and crumbled them up to use as seasoning in my food. They hold their scent quite well, and I love fresh basil with my noodle soup most.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love putting fresh basil on everything. I love the taste of it. It is by far my favorite kind of herb. Fresh basil and fresh tomatoes from the garden is absolute divine. Now if you put some fresh red onion and mozzarella with that basil and tomatoes. Then you have one of the best salads known to man.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
my cheese man, during the summer will sell Buffalo Mozzarella, made from Buffalo milk, it is so so so good. I also love decorating my pizza with alternate slices of yellow and red tomatoes , just looks pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
My husband was gifted with basil on a small pot. The driver of his boss had a fancy on the basil and he thought my husband would appreciate it. The basil was replanted on the ground and we sometimes add chopped basil on omelets. But in the months to come, we didn't notice that the basil was dying. And now it is gone except for the small stump that remains on the ground. We still do not know why it died like that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
speaking of Basil. ---- The only seed company I order from is John Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds. In there they carry 10 types of Basil Seeds. That is just an example. Every veggie, herb, and some select flower seeds have lots of types of them offered. They offer 42 types of tomato seeds. (and that is a quick counting.)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Corzhens, you didn't do anything wrong with the basil. Basil is really an annual plant and won't live much more than a year. You can take cuttings from a basil and root them, and keep basil going that way, or just plant seeds--basil germinates easily and can be grown inside or out. I prefer outside, but right now I have two on my kitchen window sill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
when I get a basil plant, I usually pot it up in a pretty pot. letting it be outside etc. trimming off the flower buds helps, then I can bring the pot inside later for a sunny window sill .

Ask a Question