Dried and Fresh Herb Ratio

Reaction score
Greetings everyone!
It's wonderful to be back on this forum. I haven't posted in a long, long time. I thought of you all when I was cooking the other evening.

When looking at a cooking recipe, it usually calls for some sort of herb. I've noticed that they usually refer to dried herbs. I don't like cooking with dried as much as I like working with the herbs from my garden. I was wondering if anyone knows the dried to fresh ratio.

For example: If a recipe calls for a teaspoon of dried rosemary, how much would that be in fresh rosemary? Would it be the same?

Thank you in advance. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Alexis, welcome back! Dried herbs are stronger than fresh--the oils and flavors are more concentrated in a dry herb. I usually substitute twice as much fresh as the amount of dried called for in a recipe. You can always add a bit more after tasting.
Dry herbs from the grocery are usually ground or powdered, and don't keep their flavor as long as the ones you dry yourself--whole leaf, air-dried, and stored in an airtight jar. The reason for whole leaf is to keep down the amount of surface area exposed to light/air.

Ask a Question