Dried or Fresh?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
My daughter and I had a debate the other night about dried vs fresh herbs. Generally there is a measuring difference because of the obvious, but what about flavor? My daughter thinks dried herbs have more of a punch, but I believe it depends on the herb. There's a lot of conflicting information around the internet, so what is your thoughts?

Reaction score
Actually I am using both of this dried and fresh herbs. What ever a certain cooking recipe is requiring then that is the one that I am using. That is why for me it depends on their own usage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It really depends! Some taste completely different when they are dried - for example, fresh mint is quite sweet and refreshing, whereas dried mint has more of a warm flavour which works really well in curries and with lamb. There are some herbs which I would always use fresh - such as coriander. Others, such as oregano, and I always tend to use dried. The flavour always seems to be stronger with fresh herbs though, so I'm surprised your daughter views it so differently! I guess it depends how fresh the dried herbs are (they lose flavour over time).

By the way, welcome to the forum! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply and warm welcome! I do have to agree that it depends on the herbs. I tend to prefer fresh cilantro over dried, although with the speed at which that plant grows indoors can be tricky and I've found myself drying it from time to time. Basil is another I use fresh, simply because it's available (we've had a purple basil growing in the kitchen window for over a year and a half now, and I started another under lights last spring that's even bigger). Mint I have yet to try in a dish dried, although I do have some from both indoor and outdoor that I've cut back. Oregano I haven't been able to dry, simply because we keep using it for pizza sauce.

Thanks again for the reply!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use both as well. I think your daughters right that dried herbs are stronger or have more punch. A lot of receipes will tell you to use a certain amount of dried herbs and a greater amount of the herbs are fresh. I personally prefer fresh herbs but it's not always possible!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The only fresh herb that we use is the mint and the basil (although my husband had pulled the basil since no one likes it here). With the mint, it only serves as decoration for the plates when we have house guests although some guests would munch on the mint to counter the fishy taste of food. For oregano and bay leaf, we use the dried that we buy from the supermarket in sachets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Over all I am going to say dried gives the greater punch. If you have fresh herbs and you can use them in a product where the "fresh" part visually is seen then that is good for the presentation. But for areas where it will just cook or blends down and mixes in, then its the dried every time. In a rolled lamb roast I used fresh mint laid nice in the rolling area so when it was cut and served it did present pretty (example).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use both as well, especially sweet basil! Fresh basil is terrific when use with pasta but dried basil works so well in marinating meat. Like @Becky said, it depends on the herbs and what you're using it with. I tend to love dried thyme and oregano for seasoning meat.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Roast lamb places over lots of fresh sprigs of rosemary is lovely and very aromatic whilst cooking. Also with baked potaotes. Yummy.:p And I have several rosemary hedges growing that constantly need trimming so it's a pretty well used fresh herb here. Love to have chives and parlseys fresh but like most comments the sage, oregano and tarragon needs a it of umph when fresh, a combo works well I think.

Reaction score
Fresh herbs definitely have more flavor. The dried herbs tend to lose a lot of flavor. It's somewhat of an easy thing to figure out. I like the natural flavor of fresh herbs. You can taste a distinct difference. I will use dried herbs when needed.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have only used dried herbs. I would think the fresh herbs flavors would be stronger but have yet to try them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
We use both dried and fresh herbs, but I prefer the latter. There is nothing better than baked potatoes with fresh basil or mineral water with mint leaves. It's just so delicious!:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
We use both dried and fresh herbs, but I prefer the latter. There is nothing better than baked potatoes with fresh basil or mineral water with mint leaves. It's just so delicious!:)
Oh, no, no, no. It is fresh chives, cut up tiny mixed in with sour cream, and let sit for couple hours in the fridge, AND then take the baked potato, crack it open, salt and pepper and a lump of butter and a huge dollop of the chive sour cream. that is how its done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I think it depends on the herb and the type of food you want it for. We grow almost all our own herbs as we are lucky enough to have a 600 sq ft herb garden and some herbs are grown elsewhere around the garden.

As the dried versions are much lighter you get much more punch out of an equal weight. Some taste totally different when dried. Bay leaf is a bit easier to compare as it is still in whole leaf form. The dried version is stronger and more pungent but the fresh is sweeter.

Marjoram and Oregano are the same family of herbs with very similar flavours. Marjoram tends to be milder and sweeter and works better fresh whereas Oregano is better dried.

I dry my own herbs to make a mixed herb concoction - Sage, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Basil, Thyme. This is much easier to use when you want a mixture of flavours in a dish. Mint is never put in the mix as it tends to clash with the others.

Ask a Question