Flavorless Chives

Reaction score
It's not that you should have NO potash (potassium), it's that phostrogen is just TOO high.
Being soluble, it won't last too long in the soil, and so something with a lower, sustainable level, like Zigs' woodash is the PERFECT way to apply that potash.

It may well be that, when the application of phostrogen is diluted in the soil, that your chives can take up the relatively small levels of sulphur required far more easily.

Yes I do enjoy chemistry, and your explanation has given me a better understanding of how Sulphate of Ammonia works, thank you.

But now I am getting really confused, should I be using sulfur and wood ash ? :confused: Also thought it might be worth mentioning, that I use the sustained release pellets of the similar to Phostrogen fertilizer, would that also make a difference compared the water on variety ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I do enjoy chemistry, and your explanation has given me a better understanding of how Sulphate of Ammonia works, thank you.

But now I am getting really confused, should I be using sulfur and wood ash ? :confused: Also thought it might be worth mentioning, that I use the sustained release pellets of the similar to Phostrogen fertilizer, would that also make a difference compared the water on variety ?

Sulphur & woodash. :cool:
Since you use those sustained release pellets, delay the woodash until winter. (The pellets do not work at low temp.

Reaction score
Will do headfullof bees.

Many thanks to both you and Zigs for your help, learn't quite a bit too.

Am looking forward to next year, when I shall, hopefully be tasting some seriously flavorsome chives, as well as having plants that I'm proud of, but this does present another problem, the slugs may take a greater interest in my plants and therefore stop ignoring :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Will do headfullof bees.

Many thanks to both you and Zigs for your help, learn't quite a bit too.

Am looking forward to next year, when I shall, hopefully be tasting some seriously flavorsome chives, as well as having plants that I'm proud of, but this does present another problem, the slugs may take a greater interest in my plants and therefore stop ignoring :)
I have terrible trouble with slugs, but they never touch my chives.

Ask a Question