Chives

Reaction score
Where do you plant your chives. These have been here for the past three years winter and summer except for stream rework.
001.JPG

j.w

Reaction score
I had chives but not in my pond. I had them in pots far away from any garden beds cuz if they go to seed they will take over like crazy. But really all you have to do is make sure you cut the flowers off before they go to seed. I'm not always good at getting to those details before it's too late tho. It' looks nice in your pond just where it is.

Reaction score
i have chives in the garden borders and in pots, carnt get enough chives, we love em, didnt know they would grow in the pond tho?? hmmm must try that, maybe plant some in trays placed in the top of the filter !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
More filtration mogsie! We have wild onions growing everywhere, not sure if they are edible though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Put chives and cylantro together and snip off and soak in water in fridge and bake some fresh bread ,great for dip .You would have a great herb pond and probably smell great also when snip it

Reaction score
At present, I have four large rosemary bushes(one in forground), sweet & purple basil in the garden cart and chives in the stream behind the log - also have lettuse in the stream. Not sure what,
001.JPG
but will be planting others as the season progresses

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our nights are still too cold, getting frost off and on. It is nice the frost has killed some of the weeds that grew.
My tomatoes / peppers are all waiting to go outside.

Reaction score
I put chives in my creek last year and it looks really good this year so far. I also have it planted in the garden beds throughout.

Reaction score
ok, I have a nice bog filter for my pond, I am going to add chives, what else do you all grow in your ponds?

Reaction score
Keep in mind that this is in the stream, very shallow running water. Tomatoes, lettuce, mums, day lilies, taro(elephant ear) -- most of these are in containers so that most of the roots are well above the water line and the soil cannot wash out. They pull their nutrients out of the water which does circulate through the pond that probably has too many fish in it. The chives set just as you see them and do fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They have so many new varieties of elephant ears now .I got all the new canna's out there too .I ordered from florida hill nursery and got a new banana and try again .My neighbors looks great after a year but we did have a mild winter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
what or how are your chives planted tmann .I love chives and cylantro too with fresh bread as a dip hmmmm hmmmm good

Ask a Question