Growing chives

Reaction score
I have planted some chive seeds however they are not growing as fast I would like them to. How long does it take before you have chive? Any suggestions would be great.

Reaction score
I have grown chives in Australia and in Europe, in pots and in garden beds. Usually they take only a few days before they start surfacing. In Australia, they took 3-5 days before they shot through the soil. I guess a lot depends on the climate of your area and where you plant the seeds. :)

Reaction score
I too have grown Chives in many different climates and conditions and although I think that climate and soil may contribute to the speed in which they grow - I've normally found them to grow pretty fast wherever they were grown.

However that doesn't mean that I've always found them to be bursting with flavor in the first year of growing - as Chives generally seem to taste much better in their second year of planting :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It'll take a few years to get established, but they'll keep dividing and the clump will get bigger :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They grow really well in the Pacific Northwest, but in the end as with all gardening, you just have to be patient. They will grow eventually.

Ask a Question