Basil and Chives are So Hardy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5a
Country
United States
Basil and chives seem to be the most hardy herbs I have grown. I do grown garlic every year, but it does not grow as well as the basil and chives do. They just keep coming up every year and in larger quantities than the previous year. We do live in a cold weathered state and they survive so wonderfully! I'm not sure if it is the climate we live in or if they are just a hardy herb that can grow anywhere. What are other hardy herbs you have noticed that survive just as well?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We were sitting here watching a show when our friend came in and told us her Chives sprouted. No one had watered them or anything and they sprouted. We went outside to see them and they more then sprouted, they were 3 inches tall. Pretty good for not being cared for at all. We had not even had the chance to work on the grow box as of yet and it has still been freezing overnight. Chives really are very hardy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes,my chives have come back here in N.C. their about 6" tall,I brought in my basil over the winter and put them back outside 2weeks ago,was out of town last week and the temp. had dropped to about 36° one night,I came home and their dead as a hammer: ( thyme,parsley,chives are fine.:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It snowed yesterday and has been freezing at night (got down to 27 one night) and the chives are still alive in my friends grow box. She planted them last year and they just popped back up.

Ask a Question