First Time Cucumber Seed-Keeping

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I'm new to the forum and new to seed-keeping. I've had gardens in the past; however, this year I decided to try seed-keeping. I have cucumbers in a hydroponic system. I left one of them on the vine to ripen for keeping the seeds. However, I am not sure as to when I should pick it. It was one of the first of the season and has been on the vine for quite some time now. It has been this whitish color for a while now and I'm unsure if it's ready. If anyone can advise me on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20230707_154027.jpg
    20230707_154027.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230707_154035.jpg
    20230707_154035.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 7

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Welcome! It looks ready to me, but you aren't hurting anything by waiting a few more days.

This is how I do it: Slice it lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and stuff, put that in water for a couple of days, discard any floaters, strain off the water and stuff, put on a paper towel to dry, and they are ready for storage.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome! It looks ready to me, but you aren't hurting anything by waiting a few more days.

This is how I do it: Slice it lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and stuff, put that in water for a couple of days, discard any floaters, strain off the water and stuff, put on a paper towel to dry, and they are ready for storage.
Thank you. I was thinking the same thing but I wanted to get a 'second opinion'. These pictures were actually taken 2 days ago. But it still doesn't look any different today than it did then.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would be careful as cross pollination or a hybrid varierty would give you with something else. I tried it with baby finger Persian cucumbers one year. Ended up with pickles. That was outdoors and was my only cucumber variety that year. Never again as I like a specific variety so I will keep buying seed. However, this year the seed I bought was something else. Ended up with pickles again. 😡 I like the smooth thin skin on Persian cucumbers but its to late now to replant.

Glad I tried another variety that makes up for the pickles I don't prefer.

MOD

Ask a Question