Fertilizer Suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last spring and fall I used Espoma fertilizer (Tree-Tone) for all my shrubs and newly planted trees. I know these fertilizers are highly regarded and I'm probably going to use them again, but... Both times I fertilized last year, I got complaints from my neighbors about the smell. It honestly doesn't bother me too much, and I'm ok telling them to just deal with it this year, but before I order a bunch of big bags of Tree-Tone I thought I'd see if anyone here could recommend an alternative fertilizer that might not send my neighbors into a tizzy this spring... I have lots of evergreens (arborvitae, spruce, juniper, hollies, mountain laurels), as well as viburnums, maples, birch, oak, and beds with lots of perennials.... Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is it the poop smell they don't like? They must live right on top of you. I spread straight chicken manure and it the smell doesn't bother me.

You could try using blood meal and bone meal. Blood meal does have a smell that dogs and deer can smell. I haven't used any in a good while so I can't remember any smell with blood meal.

Ask a Question