All Natural Fertilizer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Been reading up on basically Teas for fertilizer.

I've been buying Organic Fertilizer and will finish what I have.

But a Tea would get in and from what I read will work well.

What is your thoughts? My sister says that is what she uses.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
Australia
There are a lot of natural liquid fertilizers. My liquid 'teas' are made by half filling a bucket with organic fertilizer pellets and then filling the bucket with water and soak for two weeks stirring each day. The resultant liquid is screened through a sieve for usage (without blockage) in watering cans.
Instead of fertilizer pellets you can use just weeds, stinging nettle, compost, comfrey or combinations of these. I've started using microbial liquids such as yeast and lacto-bacillus. I have always bought seaweed powder and use it regularly to strengthen plant cells and help with flowering as well as improving plant establishment. They all seem to work if used regularly (every two weeks - about) and diluted about 50-100 :1.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
My garden soil tests regularly as "No N P K required." I get it that way naturally with manure and cover crops. No synthetics used, no seaweed used, and no tea served.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I don't know for certain, but I'm told seaweed is good for micronutrients, but almost useless for N P K.
You're right - it is a tonic not a fertilizer. Because all the rivers run into the sea, seaweed is thought to contain all the micronutrients, mineral and salts.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My garden soil tests regularly as "No N P K required." I get it that way naturally with manure and cover crops. No synthetics used, no seaweed used, and no tea served.
"No chemicals" here either but the topic is teas. Artificial liquid fertilizers do have an immediate result. So, for the impatient gardener they seem more powerful. The organic teas can be seen to rescue sick plants but not overnight usually.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure I have come across this claim of yours before somewhere:)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm thinking Teas made with Manuers, Wood Ash and Fish.

Want I was watching the guy took a Barrle fill it about half full of whatever then rest of the way with water. Stir it and let it ferment a few weeks then cuts it with water like 1-5.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm thinking Teas made with Manuers, Wood Ash and Fish.

Want I was watching the guy took a Barrle fill it about half full of whatever then rest of the way with water. Stir it and let it ferment a few weeks then cuts it with water like 1-5.

big rockpile
Manure, wood ash and fish should all make good fertilizers. The dilution rate should be higher where the barrel is half full of these ingredients. Once you have soaked and stirred them for two weeks you will have a power combo. Fine screen them into bottles and use enough concentrate to just cover the bottom of the watering can - fill with water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while ago I mixed up half a bucket of wood ash, half a bag of manure, and half a bag of compost . Mixed them really thoroughly and chopped up all the lumps, then sieved them over my garlic.
Might be a bit primitive, but I don't have a barrel, and it has been raining so much I don't want to water, and it just seemed simple and easy:)

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I call that top dressing. I am adding two or three inches of cow manure over all crops I plant. No rain here - ominous signs of an approaching summer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've spread bunch of Cow Manuer.

Right now mostly Chicken and some Rabbit.

Seems with his Teas Leaf Mold is needed because of the Microbs. He said if you don't have Leaf Mold Compost will work but not as good.

I have neither. Once again I thought I could do something but it didn't work out well.

I walked behind the house to see if I could get some Leaf Mold.

Was at top of a ditch not having any luck. I thought well I figure all the Leaves piled up in the ditch. So decided to go down there.

Made it down. I fell, ok great! Managed to get hold of a Sapling got up, then found I had a hard time walking up hill even using my rake handle. So now I know.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bet you get lectured for that :) I keep damaging my legs, nothing serious, just a casual knock every so often, but I have very thin skin there because of the damage and because "You are getting on now, it's a fact of life". I know, I am suffering it, but I don't want to be ruled by it.

Ask a Question