Yeast fertilizer

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Soil science seems to be saying forget the manures and fertilizers and build the soil microbes instead.
I recently went to the local bakers and asked for some fresh yeast. After a wait the young worker returned with a kilo of wrapped fresh yeast that she said would be best used within the week. So, I mixed 100gm. of yeast with 1 liter of warmwater and a cup of sugar and let it brew overnight. It had foamed up as expected so I took it out into the shed and put it into a twenty-liter container and covered the opening with cheese cloth to allow air intake. I added more warm water, worm wee and molasses and stirred it very well. I started a second yeast brew.
The worm wee/molasses mix is still foaming up after two more days of stirring. I then added a cup of the brew to each of two nine-liter watering cans and watered my strawberries to see what will happen. I also watered several other established broccolis, celery, lettuce and garlic plants. As I watered the mix was still foaming a bit. Lastly, I watered the soil the tomatoes will be planted into later. The soil was damp due to rain.
I'm interested in knowing what results others have had with yeast fertilizers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Soil science seems to be saying forget the manures and fertilizers and build the soil microbes instead.
I recently went to the local bakers and asked for some fresh yeast. After a wait the young worker returned with a kilo of wrapped fresh yeast that she said would be best used within the week. So, I mixed 100gm. of yeast with 1 liter of warmwater and a cup of sugar and let it brew overnight. It had foamed up as expected so I took it out into the shed and put it into a twenty-liter container and covered the opening with cheese cloth to allow air intake. I added more warm water, worm wee and molasses and stirred it very well. I started a second yeast brew.
The worm wee/molasses mix is still foaming up after two more days of stirring. I then added a cup of the brew to each of two nine-liter watering cans and watered my strawberries to see what will happen. I also watered several other established broccolis, celery, lettuce and garlic plants. As I watered the mix was still foaming a bit. Lastly, I watered the soil the tomatoes will be planted into later. The soil was damp due to rain.
I'm interested in knowing what results others have had with yeast fertilizers.
Thats very interesting. Can you post a before and after using yeast fertilizer?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
This is not my idea - I'm a complete novice at inoculation. I can do a comparison of tomato seedlings in September. Some seeds have already sprouted, and I plant three times more than I need. I can do a control with just water. Then algal, bacterial and fungal fertilizer samples in the others.
It's the last month of winter here and I've treated just soil, old plants, established plants and just seeds - so no comparison possible. After just one day they look no different. Organics requires patience.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have potted up eleven 'money maker' tomato seedlings. They are all small and have the same soil and water. The soil is half sterile potting mix and half my very alive compost. The pots have been cleaned in warm soapy water. Generally speaking, there should be no weak plants. I will make the lactobacillus now and make fresh yeast mixture in about a week or so.
Just about everything I do in gardening is rough edged so this will not be a scientific sterile conditions experiment. I expect all my plants to have 'the survival gene'.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It's only a week to the start of spring here. I will only apply one dose of yeast and bacillus to plants in a week's time. I might also apply other thing to other plants to see the impact.

Attachments

• IMG_3234.JPG
    IMG_3234.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Worm wee? What exactly is that?
It comes from my worm farm which has a three, stacked boxes for organic soil and a bottom box for drainage. The top three soil boxes have commercial red worms placed in them and they go about their business turning the soil into worm castings. You have to keep the soil damp, so water is periodically poured into the top lidded box my removing the lid and spreading water over the surface. Because these boxes have drainage holes in their bases the water drains into the bottom box which is closed with a tap. This water is the leachate or worm wee. You can read about it on google.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
First of Spring here and I've set up the experiment with ten 'money maker' tomatoes planted in the same soil at the same time (23 august). Today I have fertilized as follows. Back two rows starting on the left
  • Yeast and molasses
  • Yeast and sugar
  • Lactobacillus and molasses
  • Lactobacillus and sugar
  • The two in the front are water only with the one on the right being filtered and aerated.

Attachments

• IMG_3238.JPG
    IMG_3238.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3237.JPG
    IMG_3237.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Actually, these were planted as seed two weeks before 23rd August. The yeast (fungal) mix I put all over the garden two weeks ago did appear to turn the leaves to a darker shade of green.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
A result or two already -
In the second photo you see that the experiment is ruined because I overwatered, and the waters all drained into the tray and all the pots drank the mixture up. BUT ... in the first photo the big plant on the left is one of our experimental ones and is much bigger than the others I have grown without yeast or bacteria additives. These smaller ones are the same age but were repotted two or three days later.
Whilst early this is showing that the yeast and lactobacillus could well be growth accelerants.

Attachments

• IMG_3240.JPG
    IMG_3240.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3239.JPG
    IMG_3239.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yeast? Like you use to make bread? Lactobacillus? <---whassat??
Apparently, I need to do some research, lol!
Yes, yeast is a fungus, and you brew it with sugar and water to make it grow into a fertilizer.
Lactobacillus is made with rice water and milk to produce a bacterium that feeds on milk.
This experiment is to see if they stimulate growth by enlivening the soil microbes.
It's new to me this year but there's a lot of info. on uTube if you look up 'regen ag.', Dr. C. Jones, Zach Bush and heaps of farmers who are rapidly changing their practices.

Ask a Question