Fave songs from way back when!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
One Hit Wonders

Discussing these on a music board today I posted this, it got to No 8.

We saw him in the seventies at the Golden Garter nightclub in Wythenshawe.

He recorded the vocal for a Kellogg's cornflake advertisement which was often on TV at the time.

He also sang that on that occasion!

I remember it being mid summer and the place was really hot, (no aircon)
He took off his jacket early on, by the end of his set he was soaked to the waist in perspiration.
I thought he was great and I still like the song (not the Kellogg's one).

He'll be 79 now.

It's a hard song to sing, so I don't remember anyone else recording it at the time.

'cept this girl in her bedroom three years ago. She's English, does the Northern Soul venues with her group.

Brilliant!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Couldn't help it I just had to have a go at it.

It's just busking a I haven't got the music.

"It's not me singing' I got a couple of the neighbourhood kids to come in and do the backing vocals."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Miranda : Morecambe and Wise and Me ITV

I recorded this and watched part of it this yesterday, very enjoyable. Twenty of their most famous sketches, No1 was the appearance with them, of the late Andre Previn.

Greig's Piano Concerto. "I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order."

In my teens the only thing about Andre Previn I really knew, was his performance on a modern jazz album I bought in the late fifties. This was the best selling jazz album at the time made in 1956, of the songs from, "My Fair Lady."

The show didn't open in Drury Lane until 1958, and I read somewhere a few years later that no music from it was allowed to be broadcast until after the show opened. However, as this was a jazz album which would only be of appeal to a small audience, it was released. He's part of a trio lead by the jazz drummer Shelly Manne, who was also a producer, with Leroy Vinnegar on bass. Manne made a few show albums, but mostly jazz albums with recognised jazz musicians.

This is my favourite track.

They made another album together, I bought when it was released, of the songs from "Bells Are Ringing," but with Red Mitchell on bass, rather than *Leroy Vinnegar.

I like this one. (This album cover is the first time I saw phones with a curly wire).

Previn was a really gifted pianist, with a flair for improvisation.

Some time later Leroy Vinnegar complained that he only got a session fee for his contribution, so no royalties. When Shelly Manne was asked about it. He said, to the effect, that, that was the music business, he in turn a year later had accepted a job to play on a pop recording for the standard union rate of $25 and didn't complain afterwards.

He plays the drums on Peggy Lee's 1957 record, "Fever."

The drums made the record a hit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
This is from 1985, the music is by Michael Masser, he wrote it for George Benson. The lyrics are by Carole King's ex, Gerry Goffin.
Together they wrote many songs for a lot of household names particularly in the eighties. Masser did write with others, but not as often as with Gerry Goffin, they wrote over 50 songs that were recorded by well known names.
Sadly they won't be writing any more as they're both dead.

It stands up as an instrumental, not as much by me on my Tyros 5,

Much more so by Kaori Kobayashi. Though some might think she does, "go on a bit at the end"

She looks about fourteen, but is 26 here. She's very small. That alto looks like a tenor on her.

Ask a Question