Evergreen to grow in between/up through beech trees

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Screenshot_20231101-220029_Gallery.jpg

Hi everyone,
New to the forum. Just looking for some advice from experienced gardeners. I have a row of beech trees, about 10 years old. They are beautiful in the summer, but look very bare in winter. Ideally I would like more cover in winter, but would prefer not to remove the trees. Is there anything evergreen that would grow 'around/up through them?? One suggestion was Holly.... would this work? Bamboo was also suggested to me. Any ideas anyone.

I am based in UK and the trees are south facing....

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Planting evergreen hollies could indeed work; they are hardy and can grow in the understory of your beech trees, providing winter interest and cover. Bamboo might be an option, but it's invasive and could take over your garden if not carefully managed. You could also consider evergreen climbers like ivy, which can grow up the trees without harming them. Just ensure whatever you plant is suitable for UK climate and doesn't out-compete your beeches.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Escallonia -
1699123807216.png
Photinia -
1699123935667.png
Variegated privet -
1699124012825.png
Escallonia -
1699124090212.png
1699124203336.png
Hypericum hidcote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ceanothus -
1699124339344.png
Eleagnus ebbingei
1699124537251.png
(wonderful scent around Christmas time)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My own mixed hedges also include deciduous plants that peep through the evergreen stuff. Aim for something to be in flower all year round. The list is never ending. Clematis of all kinds can also be useful. They like good deep soil with roots in the shade and lots of sun to encourage flowers. There are also several shrubs that could be included with colourful berries for the birds during the autumn time. Oh I nearly forgot, welcome to the forums @Early_bird
PS I would forget the bamboo if I were you - they can be very invasive and hard to get rid of.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Thanks everyone for the advise. Looks like I have a number of options. Bamboo was in my mind also, so good to get opinions on that. I think I might stay away from it!
I'm thinking now maybe a mix of Holly and Eleanor ebbignei, which seems to be quite shade tolerant... would be nice to have the winter flowering too.
Any other ideas, please do share them!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bark is a good guide, they do look like birch, lots of fine twigs. Tetters' photo shows silver birch, they are not always white like that.
Welcome to the forum.

Ask a Question