Epsom salts

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello guys
can some one give me advice as to how to use Epsom salts.
I have read a lot about it online and many people have mixed opinions and its hard to make sense of it all.
so basically i have some jalapeno plants that are recovering from edema, and are having a hard time with the uptake of nutrients.
anyone with experience that can give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it, i can post some pics if needed.
Thank you, Happy growing :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello guys
can some one give me advice as to how to use Epsom salts.
I have read a lot about it online and many people have mixed opinions and its hard to make sense of it all.
so basically i have some jalapeno plants that are recovering from edema, and are having a hard time with the uptake of nutrients.
anyone with experience that can give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it, i can post some pics if needed.
Thank you, Happy growing :)
First of all what is the Ph of your soil. I have used ES for many years and I too have heard all kinds of stories about it. I have very alkaline soils and if I don't use ES I cannot get a tomato crop at all because of Blossom End Rot. It affects some peppers and most melons but not cucumbers. My soil has calcium in over abundance but the plants cannot uptake it. ES somehow changes this imbalance and allows calcium uptake. ES has zero NPK value but I put it on everything except row crops. I am convinced that it really helps with plant growth as well. It seems that plants just look more robust and lush when it is used. The way I use it is to just get a big handful and scatter it around the plant and water it in. I suppose you could use too much but 1/2 cup seems about right. Edema is mainly a water issue and ES has nothing to do about that. Nor does edema affect nutrient uptake.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We use epsom salts as a stump killer. Drilling into unwanted sawn off tree stumps,making cavities to stuff with the salts and covering with black polythene gives the stump an overdose which eventually kills it, whilst generally feeding any other nearby plants if it leeches out into the surrounding area. Win win!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We use epsom salts as a stump killer. Drilling into unwanted sawn off tree stumps,making cavities to stuff with the salts and covering with black polythene gives the stump an overdose which eventually kills it, whilst generally feeding any other nearby plants if it leeches out into the surrounding area. Win win!
We use saltpeter (potassium nitrate) as a stump killer. I never knew ES (magnesium sulfate) did the same thing.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Carzyfarmer,

Epsom salts definitely helps in my garden with the efficiency of plant uptake of nutrients.

I find it especially effective on tomatoes in the prevention and/or cure of blossom end rot. I use it primarily in solution form on plant leaves but it is also useful just scattered around the base of plants.

I'm not aware of any link with edema but for plant health, epsom salts is great!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We use saltpeter (potassium nitrate) as a stump killer. I never knew ES (magnesium sulfate) did the same thing.
Not sure if we can get saltpeter here Chuck - the epsom salts work, but take time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We still have a few here you can come over and practice on if you like.

Ask a Question