Edible plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I believe that rose petals make the most beautiful and the most delicious dessert:D . I'm not sure if I should eat my miniature roses petals but I definitely must look for some flowers.
Here are some inspirations, these pictures make me hungry!:

saffron-yogurt-mousse-51-408x500.jpg

rose-petal-dessert.jpg

286602.jpg

1242_3_380.jpg

Reaction score
The list thus far. Let me know if I have overlooked any particular flower.

Rose petals
Violets
Nasturtiums
Dandelions
Cattails (flowers or tails?)
Prickly Pear flower? (The pads are what make the jam, as far as I've seen.)
Daisy
Chicory flowers
Lilacs (Beautiful pictures, Claudine. Lilacs are my favorite kind of flower.)
Lavender
Mint flowers
Lemongrass flowers? Is that right?
Dahlias
Jasmine
Banana flowers (and everything else)

It's a shame we aren't taught these things. Imagine being lost or stranded, going hungry with food all around you.
Very good point, limcid.

I love those flowers on the cupcakes and other foods, Claudine.

Reaction score
Swiss chard is very ornamental, and it is also good to eat! The leaves are an ordinary dark green, but the stalks come in bright red, yellow, and white. I like the appearance of the chard with red stalks, but the white stalks are milder in flavor and I prefer the taste of the white stalks in my salads. The entire plant is edible.

Rainbow Swiss chard has a mixture of colors in the seed packet, so I was able to taste every color.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
That is a great list of edible plants, and I think that adding things to our flower bed that are both beautiful and edible or medicinal is such a great idea. I was just looking on YouTube and found this short video on some of the lesser known plants and flowers , being used in an edible garden. She also added some vegetable plants that are colorful and enhance the flowers. Some of these plants are also medicinal, and she covers that part as well. It is an awesome back yard !

Reaction score
I think the most common edible flowers are dandelions (in tea and salad). I also don't like rose flavor, but they are edible!
Wild garlic can produce a nice ground cover - unlike regular garlic, the bulb of wild garlic isn't the edible part. The flower part is, as well as the leaves!
Carnations make good drinks but they're usually most easily used in salads and desserts.
Nasturtiums are soooo beautiful in salad - I'm glad I'm not the first to mention them in this thread!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love pansies. They're really pretty and they come in so many different colors. Apparently, they can also make a delicious dessert, I found some pictures that for sure will make you hungry:) :

edible-flower-cupcakes.JPG

934907_581162725236224_1696232167_n.jpg

Reaction score
The list thus far:

Rose petals
Violets
Nasturtiums
Dandelions
Cattails (flowers or tails?)
Prickly Pear flower? (The pads are what make the jam, as far as I've seen.)
Daisy
Chicory flowers
Lilacs
Lavender
Mint flowers
Lemongrass flowers? Is that right?
Dahlias
Jasmine
Banana flowers (and everything else)
Swiss Chard
Wild Garlic
Carnations

Thanks for the video, happyflowerlady.

I love, love, love that first picture, claudine!

Reaction score
From the video (some are medicinal; some are not):
Hemp Agrimony
Sweet Cicely
Amaranth
Dahlia
Nasturtium
Beetroot
Jack in the Hedge
Borage
Cabbage
Day Lily
Calendula
Canary Creeper
Common Mullein
Snowpea
Allium
Poppy (seeds)
Dill
Fennel
Rosebay Willow Herb
Musk Mallow
Winter Savory
Basil
Chives
Hibiscus
Violas
Chamomie
Marigold
Rose
Lemon Balm
Dandelion
Marjoram
Oregano
Thyme
Honeysuckle
Mint
Rosemary
Zucchini
Geranium
and others

Reaction score
I don't have time right now to read the whole thread over before replying so I apologize if some or all of these have already been mentioned, but here are my favorite edible plants and flowers.

All members of the viola genus produce edible flowers and I believe foliage as well. Violets, pansies, and johnnie-jump-ups are all edible and great for candying with sugar.
Nasturtiums I'm sure have been mentioned but I just have to bring them up again. They're one of my very favorites.
Roses and rose hips! Rose hips are very good for you and can be used for tea or jelly or syrup.
Opuntia cacti! The young pads and fruit are both edible and very good for you, high in calcium. If you keep bearded dragons, also, the young pads and fruit are excellent staple foods for them, too.
Miner's lettuce! Though this is usually something I see growing wild rather than in people's yards I strongly recommend it if you can find seeds or something. It's healthy and tasty too! Has a great texture.
Hibiscus! The flowers and, I believe, the foliage are both edible. I know for sure that the flowers are.
Catmint! It works on humans, too, not just kitties. It makes a really excellent tea and the fresh leaves can also be used as a spice.

Reaction score
This year I am growing nasturtiums also, but I suspect that I will be the only one eating them! My family does not think that flowers look like food. I got my husband to try them, but he was only eating them to please me. He is more of a meat and vegetables sort of a guy!

Everybody can enjoy their beauty, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm pretty sure that violets are edible too. I haven't tried them yet, but I definitely will, they're one of my favorite flowers and I love their scent. Who knows, maybe their taste is similar to their smell. These pictures are making me so hungry:

cake_love_pretty_spring_violets.jpg

1785_1.jpg

edible-flowers-2.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Violents are edible, some people crystalise the petals. Not tried it myself though:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Crystallised violet petals sound delicious! I'm sure that they would taste great with dark chocolate. Here is a picture I found, this dessert looks so yummy:

BrownSugarChocCakeWhole.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Glad you didn't pick up on my deliberate miss spelling of the word:D Brit's sense of humour again.

Polish shop in Langport has gone:eek:

Reaction score
You come up with some clever photo's Claudine. These photos make me want to bake and update my edible flower seed collection. I've grown Johnny Jump up's and now If feel like I wasted them because I never put them to such creative use. Now I am off to the nursery to see how many edibles flowers I can find. Thanks for the inspiration.:p

Ask a Question