Edible flowers!

Reaction score
I remember when "nouvelle" cuisine at the more expensive restaurants almost always had edible flowers. Architectual "plating" and presentation was enhance by adding exotic and edible flowers.

I have also seen zucchini blossoms in a sort of light tempura batter. Growing up we picked mustard greens and ate the flowery part too.

Reaction score
Hehehe, I don't think that eating flowers from a bouquet is a good idea. Actually not all the flowers out there are supposed to be edible, I heard you can cook using nasturtium flowers as well:

2009_04_27-Nasturtium02.jpg

IMG_5346.jpg

I agree with you completely, eating flowers from a bouquet is just not a good idea, I can understand if a child decided to do that, but not a grown adult (strange people live in the world). These looks delicious, I like the use of the raspberries in the second picture with the leaves, it's a beautiful dish to look at, wonderful colour combination!

Reaction score
Yeah, eating a bouquet can't be healthy at all, because the florists always add chemicals to the water they use to keep said flowers alive for long. It can even be toxic :eek: Lately I'm thinking about this kind of small details, because children can and given the chance everything on their sight :(:mad: I also loved the salad with raspberries :) If it was me I'd add more pecans tho :p

Reaction score
I remember when "nouvelle" cuisine at the more expensive restaurants almost always had edible flowers. Architectual "plating" and presentation was enhance by adding exotic and edible flowers.

I have also seen zucchini blossoms in a sort of light tempura batter. Growing up we picked mustard greens and ate the flowery part too.

Mustard greens you say? I just googled it, because to be honest I had no idea what that was :oops::D Was it very good, the flowery part? By the way, I don't see eating edible flowers as something really fancy, to be honest I'd never pay extra for that! But I see how the use of flowers in the cusine can be exploided by greedy chefs :X3: Because not many pelople are familiar with this kind of cusine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Trellum, I have been looking into edible flowers on and off for decades now and finally, thanks to the internet I have amassed some real information on what flowers are edible and how to use them. I made squash blossoms for the first time back in June and I'm hoping to someday grow my own.

Here's everything I have compiled on Pinterest on edible flowers: http://www.pinterest.com/cdgautreaux/edible-flowers/

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that page! It looks totally awesome, I had no idea flowers could be given so many potential uses. I'll definitely bookmark this page once I'm done checking it out! I totally love the decoration ideas =) The spring bouquet popsickles are just... amazing! They look so beautiful... not sure I'd feel so comfortable with the idea of eating them tho. I guess I'd need to get used to eating flowers... how fancy of me :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Those popsicles are so beautiful that I want to have a party just so I can make them! They are downright enchanting, as are some of the other things pinned to that board. Times are tight for now, but when I have a bit more flexibility and time for leisure activities I hope to get to entertain for friends as opposed to for work.

Reaction score
I really wonder what those popsicles taste like!!! For real! I think those popsicles would be perfect for a girls who is celebrating her sweet 16 party and is really into ''cute'' and ''girly'' stuff :) I hope my daughter turns out like that (I secretely hope so!). So I can do all sort of creative things with flowers (using the link you gave me as a guide, of course!).

I hope you find the time to do what you really like doing, there is nothing better than that! I personally love crafts, but no longer have time. When I do tho, it feels like I'm in heaven!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I would imagine they taste like lemonade. You could experiment with simple syrups from different flowers to get a flavor you like and then just make a simple fruit drink recipe with juice, water, and the syrup.

Thanks, I'm actually involved in something I like doing only now I will be able to earn some money at it (as opposed to in the past) so not having as much leisure time for now has a nice trade off :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You can crystallise edible flowers at home for decorations - you brush them with egg white and then dust them with sugar and leave them somewhere warm to dry. They look beautiful on top of cakes!

Reaction score
Awesome tip, Becky! I'd love to decorate my cakes with crystalized flowers!! I think most edible flowers would look awesome on a cake with vanilla icing :) Honestly I like this idea even more than using crystalized fruits (so much weight on the cake), but crystalized flowers are so light and would look splendid! Can't wait to try this next time I bake a cake... I'll use cream cheese icing :p

Reaction score
I would imagine they taste like lemonade. You could experiment with simple syrups from different flowers to get a flavor you like and then just make a simple fruit drink recipe with juice, water, and the syrup.

Thanks, I'm actually involved in something I like doing only now I will be able to earn some money at it (as opposed to in the past) so not having as much leisure time for now has a nice trade off :)

Mango would be an excellent flavour for that kind of popsicles :) I think almost everyone likes mangoes, but lemonade is still a great choice, plus it's a clear liquid and that way you can appreciate the beaty of those flowers.

Oh really? So you're saving some money for something special as well? :) Because I am and have been doing it for a while. Sadly life gets in the way of living a life enjoying our favorite hobbies :( But oh well, it's all for a good cause! Sometimes we have to decide what our priotities are and be strong. Best of luck with your project!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh really? So you're saving some money for something special as well? :) Because I am and have been doing it for a while. Sadly life gets in the way of living a life enjoying our favorite hobbies :( But oh well, it's all for a good cause! Sometimes we have to decide what our priotities are and be strong. Best of luck with your project!

Well I haven't gotten that far yet, still working on earning more to be able to save. Hoping things will be turning around shortly. Have been very busy with new projects so with any luck it will all pay off. There's always something I need for the garden, and I wouldn't mind taking a little trip.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You can crystallise edible flowers at home for decorations - you brush them with egg white and then dust them with sugar and leave them somewhere warm to dry. They look beautiful on top of cakes!

I've seen that; I may have even pinned a how to article for it. Have you ever done it, Becky? It seems a bit labor intensive. I know you can order them already candied, but I don't know anyone who has ever made their own from scratch.

Ask a Question