Edible flowers

Reaction score
Does anyone eat the flowers that they grow? I've seen some beautiful floral salads on TV, but wonder what they really taste like. I guess it's not much different to eating other parts of a plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think they are mostly used for decoration rather than taste - that being said, courgette (zucchini) flowers are delicious (they are often stuffed).

Reaction score
Great, I'm growing courgettes this year. I didn't know you could eat the flowers - they will certainly brighten up the plate. I'll look out for a recipe for stuffing them as well. Perhaps it's similar to stuffed vine leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I had courgette flowers stuffed with crab once, then fried in a very light tempura batter... yum! :)

Reaction score
Nasturtium flowers have peppery cinnamon taste and rose hips make excellent tea. The blossoms that peas produce also taste delicious.

I have eaten lots of weird stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love the idea of eating flowers - it's just so romantic. It would be great if it was possible to eat only flowers and nothing else:) Well, maybe flowers and chocolate:D I heard somewhere that clover flowers are very sweet.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Red clover is, you pull the petals off & suck the nectar out of the ends.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds nice. I immediately imagined myself drinking clover nectar during a picnic - I'd lie on the grass and drink sweet nectar, it would be wonderful:D
But I'd be scared of doing it without washing the plant first.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I remember a picnic in a clearing in the woods when my eldest Daughter, Poppy, was a toddler, we had a bottle of home made mead & I collected handfulls of tiny wild strawberries for her. The proper pea sized round ones, not the alpine type.

It was a lovely afternoon. She'm 25 years old now.

Reaction score
Red clover is, you pull the petals off & suck the nectar out of the ends.

I remember as a child doing this with petunias. Before I put it out there, is my memory correct that petunia nectar was edible? I am sure there are some that we should stay away from.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Some nectars can be toxic, not sure as to how much though. Best just stick to plants that we know.

Lilly pollen can kill cats, it sticks to their fur & they lick it off, think it gives them liver failure.

Reaction score
Yeah, I've had nasturtium leaves and petals from my yard. But not much else unless you count sucking the nectar from them and things like honeysuckle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yeah, I've had nasturtium leaves and petals from my yard. But not much else unless you count sucking the nectar from them and things like honeysuckle.
What do they taste like? Did you eat them raw or maybe you cooked them? I still haven't tried eating any flowers, for now I try to gather as much information as possible:)

Reaction score
What do they taste like? Did you eat them raw or maybe you cooked them? I still haven't tried eating any flowers, for now I try to gather as much information as possible:)

The leaves in are sort of peppery and a bit bitter, I ate one raw to try it out but preferred it chopped cooked in an omelette, like you would spinach.

The petals I liked better, they're similar but a bit sweeter also have a neat texture, I used some on a salad, and meant to used them in a pesto recipe I found but never quite got around to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The leaves in are sort of peppery and a bit bitter, I ate one raw to try it out but preferred it chopped cooked in an omelette, like you would spinach.

The petals I liked better, they're similar but a bit sweeter also have a neat texture, I used some on a salad, and meant to used them in a pesto recipe I found but never quite got around to it.
I must say that this sounds pretty good:D My boyfriend loves peppery foods, so it's very possible that he would like the leaves. Personally, I feel more tempted to try sweeter petals, because I love all sweet things:D

Ask a Question