Edible Flowers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This thread is prompted by another thread. There are hundreds of species of flowers that are in face edible. I grew up getting some of them. Rose Hips is used as a delicious tea that higher in vitamin C then oranges. I found this website that list some of these flowers. It is not a complete list, but it is a good start. So don't just think of your flower garden as a decoration, think of it as part of your food source.

Edible Flowers Chart

Reaction score
I wonder if they taste good in a salad. I'm sure they taste different. Beside rose hips which other flowers are edible?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Eating flowers sounds kind of romantic:) I would like to give it a try. I checked out this link that you posted, Kevinkimers. It's a really interesting article. According to it, Day Lilies taste like a combination of zucchini and asparagus. I think I'd love them:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Eating flowers sounds kind of romantic:) I would like to give it a try. I checked out this link that you posted, Kevinkimers. It's a really interesting article. According to it, Day Lilies taste like a combination of zucchini and asparagus. I think I'd love them:D

Well I hope you enjoy them. LOL Some flowers are higher in vitamins then the vegetables that we buy from the store. Thousands of years ago, our ancestors ate flowers in their food when they were hunting and gathering. I don't know why it dropped off the food list since then.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have personally never eaten a flower before but have heard that they are wonderful to eat and full of nutrition! I want to try frying squash blossoms next summer. Has anyone tried doing that before?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Well I hope you enjoy them. LOL Some flowers are higher in vitamins then the vegetables that we buy from the store. Thousands of years ago, our ancestors ate flowers in their food when they were hunting and gathering. I don't know why it dropped off the food list since then.
I don't understand it either. If flowers are so healthy, we should eat them. I believe that some of them are yummy:)
Some supermarkets sell edible flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I used to eat clover as a kid. I would often drink the nectar and chew on the petals. A friend of mine had a cake made for her mother that was decorated with edible flowers and I was the only one brave enough to try them. Most flowers aren't really that flavorful in my opinion unless they have nectar or oils like lavender, clover, mint, rose, hibiscus, jasmine, and honeysuckle. (The most flavorful from what I've eaten.) Most flowers are best eaten fresh like salads, prepared such as teas and candied.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I remember that my grandmother once encouraged me to eat clover when we were in a forest, but I refused to try it:p I was a picky eater as a child. Clover's nectar is very sweet, isn't it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I grow and eat the nasturtium flower. It is a very pretty trailing plant with lovely multicolored flowers, I use it with the fresh salad greens from my garden. Just enough to add interesting color to the green. I use just the flower not the leaf. Not sure if thats edible. It is both colorful and tasty a bit peppery but it balances nice against the lemon mint I use. I also grow echineacea and although you can eat the flowers I use it for tea. I have always felt that natural flowers and herbs should be eaten. I think it makes a difference in a persons over all health. I feed many common plants, weeds and flowers to my torts, they love them.

NasturtiumSeedsNew.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Clover nectar is indeed sweet, which is why I loved eating them as a kid haha. There's lots of clover that grows in this state but because of the heavy farming and use of pesticides, I wouldn't dare eat them like I did back home.

I never had nasturtium. What kind of peppery? Like hot peppers or more of bell pepper variety? I'm curious of trying some myself.

Ask a Question