Do you use last year's vegetable seeds?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I should have hold back the cosmos. Last year, they germinated, but I planted them in the wrong place and hence not a flower. This year, I will put some in a pot. You just watch, I will plant them wherever there is a hole. That's soooo baaaad of me!:shame:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@marlingardener One year's setback ruins your plan this year. Make sure you stagger your lettuce seed sowing. I think I will do some today. I know that next few days are going to be warmER.

Now, let me check if there is any more mental aberration! LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Mental aberration: 2nd March! Now I understand what Marlin was saying. My mind darts from one place to another, especially thinking of bidding for a galanthus. Well, lost the chance of having another yellow one.

Thank you for the enlightenment, Upsy! Good friends always! :love:

alp, can Galanthus be grown from seed with any degree of success? I see many offers on eBay that are quite cheap but I don't want to waste my time if they have a poor germination rate. How hardy are they?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Depends on your suppliers. A guy told me that he collected his own galanthus seeds and they actually germinated.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Depends on your suppliers. A guy told me that he collected his own galanthus seeds and they actually germinated.

I think it's worth collecting seed pod and if you buy a little pods, all the flowers will leave you with a seed pod. But forming seeds take energy from the mother plant. Some people twin scale their bulbs. I have yet to try this. This is a much faster method to increase your stock but then they will be clones, no new cultivars. Seeds might spring some surprises. When buying snowdrops, make sure you have a proper name for it. Label it well as just the name might bring you money or you will be like me, hunting for them all over the garden and your eyes blurred as they all look very similar but you know you have something different! LOL! Very embarrassing.

Ask a Question