Do you prefer growing from seed or buying plants pre-grown/garden ready?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I used to like raising plants from seeds. But somehow there are always problems. Too hot, too cold, seedlings can be very weak.. or could be called weaklings.. The most pathetic ones were primula auriculas. They were rootless and in the end, I bought those reduced and some of them actually survived the winter and this year I have planted them in a shady area and they have been flowering their socks off.. I have found out that buying reduced healthy plants can be a real bargain. I got 7 perennial lobelias out of one big plant.. whilst I got none from my 2 packets of seeds for two years running.. But it's a nurture thing.. I feel very proud when I raised some plants from a tiny seed.. But usually there are too many pitfalls doing so.. Some of them take a long time to germinate and the soil is already green with algae .. Not a pretty sight. For me, I go round shops to hunt for reduced plants and sometimes a plant can be had for as little as 50p whilst it is £12 initially..

The jury is still out for me.. I'm a bit of a convert!

Ask a Question