Do we have any beekeepers here?

Reaction score
My city and neighborhood just approved our area for beehives. I was thinking about going out and starting a small hive. My Hubby thinks that the bees might be more of a hassle to the kids who play in our yard. I keep the kids out of the garden area but I know that the bees will fly about. If I provide the flowers, water and things that the bees seek out will they still go after my kids? I think people are thinking wasps because they have cause issue with the kiddy pools in the past.

Will my young family regret getting a beehive?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
European bees are not normally a problem as long as they are not hassled. You should have a look at This though.

Best to do a course in beekeeping first, my Sis has just done one, she enjoyed it.

Reaction score
Yikes! I would be terrified to try beekeeping. Bees don't seem to be as aggressive as wasps when it comes to looking for people to sting, so I think you should be fine as long as you set up a nice spot for them and keep the kiddie pool away from the general area.

I have seen Beekeeping I and Beekeeping II continuing education classes at my community college. They don't cost a whole lot, and maybe it will give you the info that you need.

Reaction score
Our local farm supply stores have classes that we can attend to learn more about the how to's of beekeeping. My family is my first concern and our yard isnt large. I think the decision I have made as of now is to wait until next year to make any decisions. I hope to be able to find a spot in the mountains that we can have our hive that wont be so close to everyone. We are looking for summer cabin property and I might be able to keep the beehives there.

Ask a Question