Do we have any bee keepers?

Reaction score
I'm interested in keeping Bees, I've read plenty of web pages on the matter, but I always find hearing real world opinions and experience quite a bit better.

Does anyone here keep bees? If so what type? How did you get started with it?

Reaction score
I had russian bees for a very short amount of time. Beekeeping is a very peaceful experience You start to know you bee and can sense what they want. For example if the hive looks calm throught the week and then they seem frantic, you have to investigate why. When I didn't have enough water available the bees flew around . When I watered my garden they calmed down.

Reaction score
I used to keep bees, and I would like to do so again. We shall see.

One thing you will need is local advice. keeping bees healthy in a hot climate is very different from keeping bees healthy in a cold climate, which in turn is different from keeping bees healthy in a desert climate! I found a local bee club on-line, and I used to go to the meetings.

Italian bees are supposed to be the most gentle.

Reaction score
My dad was a bee keeper and he taught me all the skills when I was little and growing up. My favorite things was getting the honey out of the honeycomb. We had to manually crank the extractor to get the honey out. I loved doing that. I have been kicking around the idea to start some hives myself, I know it would be great for my garden.

Reaction score
Make sure you check the regulations before you start beekeeping. I was able to keep bee's when I was in the country but in the suburbs you have to own a acre of land , in order to keep bees. Each state or region has it's own regulations.

Reaction score
In the USA this is very true.

I was able to find my city regulations by going to the city website and then going to "animal regulations". It said I could have up to two hives, which had to be a certain number of feet from a dwelling. So, I set up my hives next to a storage shed in the back yard.

My hives died a few years back from an illness: it happens sometimes. I burned the hive boxes they lived in to prevent it from being a source of contamination to the local bees. I have since set up some empty hive boxes in the hope of attracting a swarm, but first we had a drought and then it rained so much that the nectar was washed out of the blossoms and the beekeepers had to feed their bees sugar water because the bees did not make enough honey to support themselves. As near as I can tell there have simply not BEEN any swarms during the last couple of years!

Reaction score
I was really surprised at the amount of responses to this thread. I love to garden but I avoid bees...have a bit of a phobia about them even though I think they are so advanced and fascinating.

Reaction score
Well, I never DID buy a honey extractor, and so that cut my costs a great deal! I also bought used equipment, which I now know is not recommended for a novice because it can harbor disease, but who knew? It worked out OK.

To get the honey, I used the crush and strain method which worked out very well. I just put the entire crushed mess into an ordinary kitchen strainer and walked away. An hour or so later it had pretty much finished dripping, and the fine bits of wax were in the process of floating to the surface. I eventually was able to skim the fine bits of wax off. You get less honey if you crush the combs but extractors are expensive and I am limited to just two hives by city regulation. I decided that an extractor would not be worth the initial cost.

I did spend about $500, eventually, but I spent $100 of that for wooden hives and among other things I got about 50 boxes with roofs and hive bottoms and such, and so I can have as many hives as I wish.... excepting that my city allows jut 2 hives! I did eventually buy a second smoker, another veil, a real hive tool, and so forth.

Ideally a novice, at minimum, starts with a hat, veil of some sort, smoker, plastic dishwashing gloves with rubber bands around the wrists (the bee cannot sting as the gloves are slippery), long pants tucked into socks (you do NOT want a confused bee crawling up your leg), a long screwdriver to pry the frames free of the wax inside the hive (or a hive tool) enough woodenwork for 2 hives, the frames to sit inside the hive boxes, and bees. If you buy new, perhaps that would be $500??? Give or take $100.

The biggest expense by far is in the hive bodies, floor, and roof. So, some people make their own. I did make my first one but the work was kind of amateurish.

Experienced beekeepers often work with bare hands, as smoked bees do not usually sting unless you bump them and startle them. But, nerves make a new beekeeper clumsy and so it is better for them to wear gloves otherwise it is likely they WILL jar the bees and startle them. The thing is, bees need to be standing firmly to get the stinger in and with dish washing gloves their feet slip enough to prevent that. I have watched them try and I have watched them fail.

A very good source for bee information is www.beesource.com. It is a pretty active bee forum!

One caution: you can work your hive in a t-shirt and shorts and bare hands if you choose, but *DO* wear a veil! You will eventually be stung, and you do not want to be stung on your eye. Even if a bee crawls up your pants leg and gets squished that will only hurt like blazes: a sting in the eyeball can do more damage!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've always dreamed of becoming a bee keeper, especially after watching Pushing Daisies and Fried Green Tomatoes. It seems like such a peaceful thing to do. And you get a lot of delicious honey!
I love bees!:love:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think people that like to keep bees are a special group of people. I am one of those people that will run in the other direction when I see a bee. I know we need bees in the garden but I would like from them to stay away from me.

We have carpenter bees on the deck that will attack you.

I had no idea that the cost to care for bees can be so costly to start and maintain.

Reaction score
Yes, bees ARE expensive, which is why some people make their own hives.

There is something called a top bar hive that can be built without the need to buy frames: I have never used it due to my climate but the entire thing can be built by a person with basic skills. http://www.beginningbeekeeping.com/TopBarHiveBeekeeping.html

The top bar hives is, basically, a wooden box with slats across the top for bees to build comb on, and a lid that can be lifted. This hive can be built for the cost of the lumber and the bees to put in it (unless you attract a swarm) will cost about $75. Most bee keepers keep at least 2 hives, because if you lose a queen and you have a second hive then you can give the queenless hive a frame of eggs, they they will raise up a new queen.

Queens become queens because they have been fed since the first couple of days after hatching with royal jelly instead of honey and pollen, and so a hive will grow their own queen *IF* they have eggs.

I am not sure if I made something clear; that figure of $500 was for TWO hives and not one. Life happens and insects sometimes die: if you lose your queen and she was not well enough to lay eggs before she died, it might be a big problem. A hive with no queen does not function properly, and they might not accept a new queen even if you buy one without a lot of effort on your part. The faster you can get some eggs and newly hatched larvae in there the less likely you are to have trouble!

Ask a Question