Decorative Grasses for deck border? Zone 5b

Ino

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good morning all! I want to start on this project this summer in the next couple of weeks before the landscaping/garden centers around me get complete picked over. See photo attached of my deck and patio. I would like to dig up the grass directly in front of the deck to give myself an area to plant roughly 2 feet by 15 feet (length of front part of deck). I will be putting a rubber edge down by Ecoborder which I already purchased (Curb Rubber model in brown).

I am looking for something that will help hide the underneath of my deck as my yard is currently very cold looking being just white fence and lawn. The deck is about 2.5' off of the ground. I was thinking perhaps a clumping grass as I don't want the grass growing into my lawn or into the rocks underneath my deck. If this is the way to go, I would love suggestions for the specific grass I should plant! A unique low maintenance grass is a plus! This is a FULL SUN area. If you have alternate suggestions I would love those too!!

I do have a large dog and I have to stay away from foxtail grass as it is not pet friendly.

--Zone 5b, Chicago area.
--Full Sun
--Well drained area
--Max growing height of 3' or so

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Attachments

• 20190311_162854.jpg
    20190311_162854.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Curb.jpg
    Curb.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 172

Ino

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mrs. Clem, I like that but would be worried it would be a bit too short. I am glad you pointed me in that direction though because I kinda cast the idea of flowering plants out of my mind because I was afraid that it would be too much in front of the newer deck.. Meaning it would take away from it or be "too busy". But that Lirope flower is pretty cool!.

Ino

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What about baptisia even? Or something similar? I am a total newbie....

Ask a Question