Decent veg for growing under a table outside?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I want to maximise my space at the side of the house. My tire planters work very well each year for tatties, but I want to sling up an old green garden table I've got lying about - one of those plastic things with the four plastic legs.

It'd probably cover four tires either completely or more or less.

What would you recommend to grow in the tires that are under more shade / cover? It'd be the four back tires in the picture the table would be over.

Thanks in advance!

K

WhatsApp Image 2019-03-31 at 13.59.00.jpeg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Strawberries might do ok, they're originally woodland plants.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Strawberries might do ok, they're originally woodland plants
Alpine strawberries would suit those conditions best, I think.
What would you recommend to grow in the tires that are under more shade / cover?
Because of the shade cast by the table, you'd need to select shade tolerant crops. Cut and come again salad leaves would grow well there, so would rocket, spinach and Swiss Chard.
Runner beans could be another choice, but you would need to leave a gap at the back of the table so the beans could reach for the skies against the wall (obviously you would need to give them some support to grow up through).
Peas like a cool, shady spot as does radish.
For herbs consider mint and parsley.
Autumn raspberries also tolerate a shady, cooler spot.
Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alpine strawberries would suit those conditions best, I think.

Because of the shade cast by the table, you'd need to select shade tolerant crops. Cut and come again salad leaves would grow well there, so would rocket, spinach and Swiss Chard.
Runner beans could be another choice, but you would need to leave a gap at the back of the table so the beans could reach for the skies against the wall (obviously you would need to give them some support to grow up through).
Peas like a cool, shady spot as does radish.
For herbs consider mint and parsley.
Autumn raspberries also tolerate a shady, cooler spot.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice - lots of good ideas there but actually it all became a moot point anyway.

I started planting various things, and for some reason, decided to make sure I split them around the tires into different categories.

By about the fourth tire, I was already forgetting what I planted, and by the time I'd done, I only had a vague idea what tires had what!
I'm generally not very organised at the best of times, so this really comes as no surprise.

I now have no idea what is in any of the tires, and in the end just started chucking seeds around that I had left to see what happened.

As such, I've left the table down this year. Doh.

Thanks for your help, I'll try again next year! :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You'll have a good time seeing what comes up then :D

Ask a Question