Cucumber trellis

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a few cucumbers planted in a planter box about 4' off the ground (I have back problems). Can I just let them grow over the side and drop down or do I need to trellis them up? Thank you for any and all help!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, you can certainly do that. Cucumbers are very flexible and produce with or without a trellis as long as you give them room to ramble.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For years I grew cucs on the ground and they did great. You can build or attach something below the planter box to act as a trellis and you can easily train your cucs to grow down and up the thing you build or you can just let them run wild on the ground. They will easily grow to 10 feet long during a season if maintained.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I've trained my cucumbers along a trellis for the same reason you're are in a box 4' off the ground - and I've always been tight on space. Last year I had them planted in the ground and some along the fence and some up and over a gate arbor.

If you let then fall to the ground will you be able to work with them and harvest with your back?

As Meadowlark said they're flexible.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've trained my cucumbers along a trellis for the same reason you're are in a box 4' off the ground - and I've always been tight on space. Last year I had them planted in the ground and some along the fence and some up and over a gate arbor.

If you let then fall to the ground will you be able to work with them and harvest with your back?

As Meadowlark said they're flexible.
I think will as I've only planted about 8. Thank you for your advice!

Ask a Question